topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Scripting vs. Programming  (Read 37785 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scripting vs. Programming
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 04:15 PM »
 Of course this line is blurred,

Hence this futile exercise, but it is fun!  :)

It's the same as describing someone as a runner or a writer. Most people can run and write yet the titles imply a higher level of competency and experience in the task.

Yes, but what specific demarcation is the "graduation" to writing, running or programming?  Who is the judge?

You make some good points, but let me ask you this.  If you were an employer for an I.T. department and you needed to hire a "programmer," which would you hire?
  • A person that has written hundreds of 50 - 3500 line "scripts" and even one 4300 line "script."
  • A person that has coded in C++, Delphi and (way back) COBOL, but the longest "program" was only 780 lines and there wasn't that many.
Ok, maybe that's not be completely fair, but it says something about this debate.

Oh, one more thing.  I have often noted that in a debate of this nature the reason that it is very difficult to qualify and/or quantify where the line actually goes is because there was never any real line there in the first place.   At least from my perspective.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:17 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Well my point is that who to hire is not so much based on the language, but on the contents of what they've written. I'm trying to suggest that the difference between scripting and programming is in what you write rather what you write it in.

Of experience in the language you intend them to use is an important real life factor I'm sure.

As for what do you graduate to a programmer, runner, etc? Well when you're there you'll know you're there but won't know when you got there. :D

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 04:45 PM »
As for what do you graduate to a programmer, runner, etc? Well when you're there you'll know you're there but won't know when you got there. :D

So, where does that leave us in this debate?  Are we doomed to be scripters and not programmers, programmers that never scripted, until we get to the place where we know we are not just programming scripters since programmers that had previously not scripted, but are now scripting programmers and scripters that had never programmed are finally deemed the weakest of programmers to be scripters and the weakest of strong scripters that will never be deemed programmers?

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Scripting Languages use variables - example: VBScript.

How about this...

The only reason that any one conceives of VBScript, Javascript, etc. IMIO is because the "script" moniker was hung on to the name.   Would it (them) be known as "script" if the author(s) had named them "VBExtra," "JavaRod," etc.

Could this be a valid explanation?

Yes.  They are most definitely scripting languages.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Scripting Languages use variables - example: VBScript.

How about this...

The only reason that any one conceives of VBScript, Javascript, etc. IMIO is because the "script" moniker was hung on to the name.   Would it (them) be known as "script" if the author(s) had named them "VBExtra," "JavaRod," etc.

Could this be a valid explanation?

Yes.  They are most definitely scripting languages.

Ok, I'll play the stooge...

No, no, no you missed the point!