ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Auto close tags

(1/2) > >>

rgdot:
Continuing my ongoing pointless questions

Does anybody know of a freeware html or text editor that has support for automatically inserting closing tags?
I type the h1 tag for example, add the text and then the closing tag is added automatically. Vim I believe does that using Ctrl+X+O, are there any free software that do the same or similar?

Target:
can't comment on the editor side of things (HTML Kit may be worth a look) but you could certainly do this with a 'hotstrings' tool that replaces typed occurrences with the full string (ie opening and closing tags)

rgdot:
Currently I am doing something somewhat crude, sending keys using powerpro, it's like pre-saving some common closing tags and pasting them with a click when one is needed. Regarding HTML-Kit, I tried this but it didn't work on my machine, not really sure why.

Target:
what i'd probably suggest (if you can't find an editor with this functionality built in) is an autotext type utility that will replace one typed string with another, eg typing <table> would trigger the script to replace that entry with <table></table>

There are any number of these available, or you could use an AHK script (you would need to provide a list of the common tags) 

Shades:
NotePad++ does automagically close tags...but only for XML (by default). Maybe it's worth to take a look at their plug-ins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version