ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux/Unix multimedia codecs

<< < (2/3) > >>

Innuendo:
It's always been a harrowing journey in the past to get one's multimedia files to work on Linux without hiccups. It's nice that there's an avenue for people to take in order to have paid support to help make the trip easier.

urlwolf:
It's always been a harrowing journey in the past to get one's multimedia files to work on Linux without hiccups. It's nice that there's an avenue for people to take in order to have paid support to help make the trip easier.
-Innuendo (November 17, 2009, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? I think in ubuntu you add some lines to your source list, and the codecs download themselves automatically when you try to play a file....

Innuendo:
Really? I think in ubuntu you add some lines to your source list, and the codecs download themselves automatically when you try to play a file....-urlwolf (November 18, 2009, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

When you see me talking about Linux it's generally from a perspective of back in the days when Linux users were complaining they had no way to play DVDs on their PCs. :)

I still come into contact with Linux once in a while, but not nearly as much. Hmm....weird...Linux is now easier to use, but now I know fewer people who run it. Just a statistical anomaly I'm sure.

40hz:
For what Fluendo wants for the package, it seems pretty reasonable to me. Nice opportunity to get legal since you can now do so without needing to break the bank.

Here's something the proprietary software crowd might want to consider: Just ignore the people who will loudly scream that your product isn't "open" and put it out where people can buy it.

If you can provide the FOSS world with a reasonably priced and genuinely workable alternative to reverse engineering your product, you might be surprised at the number of people that would purchase your stuff.

I've seen Fluendo's DVD player in action. It's pretty nice. And for €20, it's worth it just to get support for DVD menus.

40hz:

Of course, you can always click through the "kicker" dialog and download them freely if you want.
-zridling (November 17, 2009, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Z-Man - naughty, naughty.... :eusa_naughty:

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version