topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux/Unix multimedia codecs  (Read 7142 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linux/Unix multimedia codecs
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Fluendo has released a new set of their Codec Pack which includes improvements in the Windows Media codecs, aimed at enhancing the support of MSB Streaming, generating a GstIndex while demuxing, and improving seeking functions. The MPEG pack has been enhanced as well by increasing video fluidity for MPEG2. Many other fixes and updates have been included, making the Fluendo Codec Pack one of the most efficient and complete solutions to playback audio and video on a wide variety of devices and formats.

fluendo-09d.png

Offering the Linux/Unix community stable solutions and a quality experience when playing multimedia is not an easy task. Among those for sale are the full pack, which includes:
  • The new Fluendo codec pack V7 includes Windows Media Audio Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro, Lossless and Speech)
  • Windows Media Video Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9 and VC1)
  • Windows Media ASF Demuxer
  • Windows Media MMS Networking
  • MPEG2 Video Decoder
  • MPEG4 Part 2 Video Decoder
  • DivX 3.11 Alpha Video Decoder
  • H.264/AVC Video Decoder
  • MPEG2 Program Stream and Transport Stream demuxer
  • MPEG4 ISO Demuxer
  • MP3 Audio Decoder
  • AAC Audio Decoder
  • LPCM Audio Decoder

Great stuff.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linux/Unix multimedia codecs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15 AM »
for me, mplayer has always been sufficient. But I know there are more media players, and I think some of them might actually benefit from this pack.

Under which license are these distributed?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Under their original licenses. Fluendo sells a variety of codec packs for Linux users, presumably US users given the restrictions there.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I understand the Linux world is totally different when it comes to codecs compared to the Windows platform, but it just makes me feel weird to hear people talk about buying a codec pack.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03 PM »
@Innuendo:
Yea, it does, doesn't it! But in today's patent-drowning, copyrighted world, at least it's available and guaranteed to work. Of course, you can always click through the "kicker" dialog and download them freely if you want.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:56 PM »
It's always been a harrowing journey in the past to get one's multimedia files to work on Linux without hiccups. It's nice that there's an avenue for people to take in order to have paid support to help make the trip easier.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:04 AM »
It's always been a harrowing journey in the past to get one's multimedia files to work on Linux without hiccups. It's nice that there's an avenue for people to take in order to have paid support to help make the trip easier.

Really? I think in ubuntu you add some lines to your source list, and the codecs download themselves automatically when you try to play a file....

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Really? I think in ubuntu you add some lines to your source list, and the codecs download themselves automatically when you try to play a file....

When you see me talking about Linux it's generally from a perspective of back in the days when Linux users were complaining they had no way to play DVDs on their PCs. :)

I still come into contact with Linux once in a while, but not nearly as much. Hmm....weird...Linux is now easier to use, but now I know fewer people who run it. Just a statistical anomaly I'm sure.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45 AM »
For what Fluendo wants for the package, it seems pretty reasonable to me. Nice opportunity to get legal since you can now do so without needing to break the bank.

Here's something the proprietary software crowd might want to consider: Just ignore the people who will loudly scream that your product isn't "open" and put it out where people can buy it.

If you can provide the FOSS world with a reasonably priced and genuinely workable alternative to reverse engineering your product, you might be surprised at the number of people that would purchase your stuff.

I've seen Fluendo's DVD player in action. It's pretty nice. And for €20, it's worth it just to get support for DVD menus.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:37 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:28 PM »

Of course, you can always click through the "kicker" dialog and download them freely if you want.

@Z-Man - naughty, naughty.... :eusa_naughty:

;D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:36 AM by 40hz »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 01:23 AM »
just to get support for DVD menus