topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking to "mirror" some videos  (Read 4683 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Looking to "mirror" some videos
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Hi,

I have recently received a DVD from a relative.  It holds some video clips showing my grandparents back in 1926 ! The person who did the conversion has done this without "unmirroring" them, so that license plates on car are inverted, and cars seem to drive on the left side as in UK.  Is there a free video tool or web service that would allow me to mirror them, if possible without re-encoding them, since the quality is already low.

If you have already used such a tool, and were satisfied with it, could you recommend one.

In total, I have 7 clips, totalling around 200MB in DVD compliant MPEG2.

Thanks !
.merle1.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:09 AM by MerleOne »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking to "mirror" some videos
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I don't have it on my computer that I am using right now, but I believe virtualdub can mirror videos, and it is free and open source. It also has some tools that can possibly improve the quality slightly (doubt it, but its worth a shot)
[Insert really cool signature here]

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I don't have it on my computer that I am using right now, but I believe virtualdub can mirror videos, and it is free and open source. It also has some tools that can possibly improve the quality slightly (doubt it, but its worth a shot)

Thanks, will have a look at it.

Edited : seems perfect, with .avi format and horizontal flip filter.  Now I just hope it reads MPEG2.
.merle1.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:36 AM by MerleOne »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Virtualdub doesn't read MPEG2, as far as I know. You could try an older, but possibly working version at http://home.comcast....er/stable/index.html.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17 AM »
Virtualdub doesn't read MPEG2, as far as I know. You could try an older, but possibly working version at http://home.comcast....er/stable/index.html.

Thanks.  I did try the regular VirtualDub with mpeg2 files : it won't load them.  I made a try with a .avi divx file, input file size was 11MB, the mirrored output file size was over 500MB.  And there as so many settings that I am not sure which one to use to keep the size in the same range.
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Hi,

I tried it, it reads mpg2 files allright; but all filters are missing.

On the other hand, I have come across a handy tool, Easy video Converter (free) at http://www.easy-video-converter.com/ which gives a nice range of effects, including flip (H and V).  I think I'll go for that one if I can find the right setting so that I can also keep output qualiy at a correct level.

Thanks.
.merle1.