topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: File Hound 3.08 released  (Read 9692 times)

fiddyschmitt

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • www.jimmythefork.com
    • Donate to Member
File Hound 3.08 released
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:26 AM »
Hello,

I've just put the finishing touches on File Hound 3.08. It searches for text inside any file. Please find it over at jimmythefork.com and let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Fidel

p.s. it's free :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:06 AM by fiddyschmitt »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: File Hound 3.08 released
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01 AM »
It seems it relies on .NET.  I'll try it on my Vista PC...
.merle1.

fiddyschmitt

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • www.jimmythefork.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:06 AM »
It seems it relies on .NET.  I'll try it on my Vista PC...
Well spotted, it does indeed require .Net 2.0.

Cheers,
Fidel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:23 AM »
Just tried it -- love the ability to preview the pdf in text mode with the terms highlighted -- that is really wonderful., and the result list columns are fantastic.

feature requests and bug reports:
  • i assume i should have been able to browse to a folder to search? i had to manually type in my folder, the down arrow did nothing (maybe its an MRU and you just havent implemented browse for folder yet); would be nice to be able to drag and drop a path there too.
  • is there a proper way to cancel the search besides hitting close button? a cancel button in search window on status bar maybe would be welcome.
  • i dont need any kind of regex search, BUT i would love to be able to specify a set of search terms and shown any file with any of the terms.
  • some guidance on the input fields would be useful (ie the Filename field, can i type *.pdf or what?)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Hi Fidel - great job! I'd second mouser's suggestion about an alternative way to cancel the search (beyond hitting the "close" button). Also, the pdf previewing capablities are very nice and the results are very elegantly displayed. I love the white text on blue background  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I tried the File Hound, and was impressed with the speed and with the number of file types it would check. Well done!  :up:

But I couldn't figure out how to navigate to the proper folders, except for copy&pasting the path (I see Mouser also has mentioned this). However, I have my texts placed in various folders, and typing User\*.* simply won't do = 170.000 files. And if I merely check one folder at a time, other programs will do faster. So, my feature request is, for File Hound to be able to search a (plural) number of fav' folders only, please.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Fidel, seriously nice work with the new Hound. I'm definitely keeping it in my arsenal of search tools. BTW I've only tested for a few runs, but it looks like Hound is no longer leaving behind temp files when searching through PDFs. Congratulations on your excellent work. :Thmbsup:

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I agree with what was said, however, no Unicode support makes me not to use it.

Also, it would be nice to have some buttons and keyboard commands to go to the next/previous instance of the found string. If the document is quite long you have to scroll it until you find the highlighted item. Or did I miss something?