ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

submerge your pc in veggie oil - cool and quiet

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
.. not only did we find that our AMD Athlon FX-55 and GeForce 6800 Ultra equipped system didn't short out when we filled the sealed shut PC case with cooking oil--but the non-conductive properties of the liquid coupled created a totally cool and quiet high-end PC, devoid of the noise pollution of fans.
--- End quote ---

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

page 2 has a nice full video.  from tom's hardware (thanks db for the pointer).

Hirudin:
I kinda want to do this with my HTPC, because it's so durn loud. The biggest thing that's stopping me is that I'm afraid the oil will go rancid. Supposidly the computer creates a warm environment that makes stuff start growing in the oil. Aparrently the way to go is to use a petrolium based (non-organic) oil. I seem to remember someone saying that the best oil would be completely clear (which would look a LOT better too).

mouser:
yes someone was just pointing out to me the problem that its going to go rancid..

also, what if you need to replace something? yuck.
also you'd have to keep the cdrom and hard drive out of the oil wouldnt you? so hard drive noice would not be cure (maybe the hard drive is sealed but id be cautious about that).

Carol Haynes:
Nice - I think some one around here built his new PC just a bit too soon ...

Bit mucky though if you want to swap a PCI card, and you need a second box for your drives ...

Also if you have a basket compartment in the top you can make French Fries ...

How can you have non-organic petroleum based oil ??? Petroleum is a biological biproduct ...

f0dder:
Too bad the oil only goes ~40C - that's not hot enough for fries :(

edit: oh wait, you could use a dualcore P4, then it'd heat up :)  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version