Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 06:51:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shortcut to launch with admin privileges?  (Read 5408 times)
kli6891
Honorary Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

In start menu search, there is a handy ctrl+shift+enter to launch the selected program with admin. rights. Is there such a shortcut in FARR?

Thanks.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »

I had no idea about that shortcut, but it's a great idea to add it to farr. i will make it so that if you hold ctrl+shift when you trigger a result it will launch it with admin privileges. adding to todo list.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »

tip: ShellExecute using the "RunAs" verb. Not properly documented and feels hacky, but that's the UAC API for you, I guess Sad

- carpe noctem
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »

Done, implemented in v 2.80.01; hold ctrl+shift when triggering an item to run as admin; for alias results you can also indicate a result should be run as admin with /runasadmin option.

ps. thanks for the tip f0dder.  thumbs up
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »

tip: ShellExecute using the "RunAs" verb. Not properly documented and feels hacky, but that's the UAC API for you, I guess Sad
As I recall, RunAs (in Shell & ShellExecute) was an option back in Win2k, it just never caught on because everybody just ran as Admin back then.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

As I recall, RunAs (in Shell & ShellExecute) was an option back in Win2k, it just never caught on because everybody just ran as Admin back then.
It was?

Thing is, the undocumented "RunAs" UAC thing in ShellExecute doesn't take any user credentials - so imho it's extremely misnamed.

- carpe noctem
putnum
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »

Hi is there a way to pass the username and password to the /runsasadmin switch automatically?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »

there is no way currently, but it's an interesting idea.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

Well... While I was beating the web bushes for a bit more elegant solution to the SetSystemTime debacle (hehe) I ran across this tutorial series that looks to be right about what you're after (Replete with Code Samples):

Asking the User for Credentials
anabus
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »

Done, implemented in v 2.80.01; hold ctrl+shift when triggering an item to run as admin; for alias results you can also indicate a result should be run as admin with /runasadmin option.

ps. thanks for the tip f0dder.  thumbs up

This seems to work when triggering an item using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, but it doesn't seem to work for Ctrl+Shift+Numpad #. Is this not how it's implemented (and I'm just doing it wrong), or is it supposed to work?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »

thanks for the report -- i'll check -- sounds like i just forgot to handle that case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.034s | Server load: 0.02 ]