ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Choosing a new PC package for a relative.. Post your recommendations

<< < (5/7) > >>

zridling:
Depends on the relative. If it's someone in the family who doesn't need a laptop (I don't "do" laptops), then I use the opportunity as an excuse to build myself another system -- sans the cost of Windows, of course -- and hand over my old one to them. I always max out the RAM and put a big HD in them, so when they want to upgrade the system, all they have to do is buy an $80-$110 new videocard if needed down the road.

Yet as we all agree, it all depends on whom and how they will use the computer. My wife, for example, requires a laptop and takes a netbook on the road. My mom knows nothing, yet wants to buy the $4000 Mac with a $500 printer for some weird reason. Walmart sells cheap laptops. Check their online store, select your system, input your area code, and see which store closest to you has one in stock. Or have it delivered to your local store for $1.  If they need further cost control, such as a kid, a student, or retired person, I strongly urge them to install a nice Linux distro. Comes with all the software they'll need for free and none of those nasty crapware and licensing, validating, registering, activation hassles.

tomos:
as I've said already - after sales service is very important I think - but especially for laptops.

Would you people also recommend going the Dell HP etc route for laptops?

I see Oshyan recommends Toshiba laptops (for service & components), I've been looking at a MSi (CX 600) on special offer here next week - according to a google search they seem to have reasonable after-sales service. I've mentioned elsewhere that Acer has a very poor rep here (Germany) that way.

MilesAhead:
If they insist on having a computer at home I'd encourage them to get a Mac.  That way when they have a problem I can say "Gee! I'd love to help you out but I've never used a Mac.  You know more about it than I do!"

superboyac:
If they insist on having a computer at home I'd encourage them to get a Mac.  That way when they have a problem I can say "Gee! I'd love to help you out but I've never used a Mac.  You know more about it than I do!"

-MilesAhead (November 19, 2009, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D I never thought of it that way...brilliant!

MilesAhead:
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version