ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Choosing a new PC package for a relative.. Post your recommendations

<< < (4/7) > >>

40hz:
I had a real problem with the Mcafee on my mom's laptop.  It wouldn't come off no matter.  I had to do all sorts of safe mode, command prompt, etc. to get rid of it.
-superboyac (November 17, 2009, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

McAfee has published a how-to (Document ID: TS100507) and utility (MCPR.exe) to deal with that problem.

Choosing a new PC package for a relative.. Post your recommendations

Link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

One thing that might have tripped you up is that preinstalled (OEM/crapware) copies of McAfee need to be activated before you can uninstall them. If you try to remove McAfee before you activate it you'll be given all sorts of grief.

I know. Truly weird, but that's the way they wrote it. 8)

superboyac:
I had a real problem with the Mcafee on my mom's laptop.  It wouldn't come off no matter.  I had to do all sorts of safe mode, command prompt, etc. to get rid of it.
-superboyac (November 17, 2009, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

McAfee has published a how-to (Document ID: TS100507) and utility (MCPR.exe) to deal with that problem.
Link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

One thing that might have tripped you up is that OEM copies of McAfee need to be activated before you can uninstall them.

I know. Truly weird, but that's the way they wrote it. 8)
-40hz (November 17, 2009, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, i think I came across that.  i think I was being stubborn in refusing to activate it.  Screw Mcafee.  I hate that program.

40hz:
i think I came across that.  i think I was being stubborn in refusing to activate it.  Screw Mcafee.
-superboyac (November 17, 2009, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um yeah...that showed em!  ;D

(kidding. just kidding... :) )

---

P.S. I don't blame you. I tend to get crotchety and go into hack mode when somebody pulls stuff like that on me too. :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
i think I came across that.  i think I was being stubborn in refusing to activate it.  Screw Mcafee.
-superboyac (November 17, 2009, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um yeah...that showed em!  ;D

(kidding. just kidding... :) )

---

P.S. I don't blame you. I tend to get crotchety and go into hack mode when somebody pulls stuff like that on me too. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (November 17, 2009, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seriously.  The whole time i was like "Why the F do I have to get a username and login for a freaking antivirus program."  Now, i know NOD32 does that also, but at least they don't nag you about it with every click of the mouse.  i remember a few years ago, before I had Roboform and before everything in the world required a username and login, i would just lose it whenever programs or web forms kept asking me for user names and passwords for every little thing.  now, I'm used to it.  It's like back in the day where Radio Shack would always ask for a zip code...as Kramer would say, "Why does Radio Shack ask for a zip code when you buy batteries?"

Innuendo:
It's like back in the day where Radio Shack would always ask for a zip code...as Kramer would say, "Why does Radio Shack ask for a zip code when you buy batteries?"-superboyac (November 17, 2009, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of the play on their old slogan "You've got questions. We've got batteries."  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version