topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dual monitor setup advice needed  (Read 5252 times)

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dual monitor setup advice needed
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I need advice.  I have an extra 16 " monitor.  I thought I would add it to my computer and have a dual monitor setup.  I am running Windows 7-  64 bit  Home premium. The other monitor is 23 "
I do not have a separate video card so I will need to add a graphics card with two VGA ports.  I don't play games so high end is not necessary  less than $ 100.00 would be good.
What graphics card would you recomend ?
Thanks

Lew
Lew

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dual monitor setup advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I bought my ATI Radeon HD4670 last year for 90 US dollar and I do have to say that it is a very nice card for that price. It handles my favorite race games ('Race driver: Grid' and 'Need for Speed: Shift') beautifully on a resolution of 1920x1080.

Now I have to assume that the prices for that range of card has dropped since and since the new 5000 range is just out, there have to be some nice deals on the net from stores getting rid of old stock.

The reason I mention my card is that if you have sudden need to play a game, this card will do it nicely.

Now I do not know if support for DirectX11 is a requirement for you. If so, then you will have to buy an ATI in the low 5000 range but I'm not sure about being in compliance with your budget. Don't worry though, you will not be spending that much more. I saw today in a Dutch news article that Asus has an ATI HD5750 based card for the retail price of 120 euro's. That means that web-shops will be able to deliver it more cheaply than that.
NVidia promises DirectX11 support with their GT300, but that card is not out yet and will cost a lot more than your budget allows.

There can be a problem popping up though. New video cards are long (size wise)....really long! Depending on your PC case you can have some trouble installing a new video card.

My advice would be to install a card that supports DirectX11, Windows 7 comes standard with it. One of the tricks that DirectX can perform is Tessellation. Now I saw a demo from a game engine with that effect...it is awesome!   

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:10 PM »
One of the tricks that DirectX can perform is Tessellation.

Thanks for the reply, Shades
I have no idea what  DirectX is, but rest assured  that I would certainly not Tesselate  !
My computer is new, HP  p6112p so I would hope that the length would not be a problem, but I will make sure before I buy.

Lew
Lew

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I would certainly not Tesselate  !

You'll enjoy even greater success if you Tessel early!

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:52 PM »
You can actually buy a cheap card with a single vga port and use it in conjunction with your current video card, rather than replacing it if you prefer.

There are plenty of cheap cards that'll do the trick. I would recommend getting the cheapest you can get for your needs, tbh.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I have no idea what  DirectX is, but rest assured  that I would certainly not Tesselate  !

Tesselate?

Why, I'm doing it right now.  :eusa_dance:

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Ok  I finally got my graphics card and now have two monitors setup.  They are set up to extend.  I have my e-mail ( Thunderbird)  open on the 16 " ( secondary ) monitor
but when I open an e-mail it opens  on the main 23 ' monitor.  Why ?  Is this normal and is there a workaround ?

Thanks
Lew

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Standard windows workaround is

Open problem program > Restore (make non-maximised) > Move to required monitor > Close > Open > Maximise > Close

Certainly works for firefox when windows pop up on the wrong screen.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson