topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone have an xbox they don't want any more?  (Read 5166 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone have an xbox they don't want any more?
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Long time friend and fellow coder, Krishean, who has helped me quite a bit over the years with coding and inspiration, is in a bit of a jam.

For the past 3 years he has been hosting his website on an xbox (original, not 360) and it no longer works.

He is in need of a new (used) one for hosting his website.

If anyone has one in good working order that they do not need any more, that they would be willing to donate, it would be much appreciated.

draconislabs.net has been gone for quite some time and i think i should explain why
for close to three years, if not three years, draconislabs had been running continuously on an xbox (original, not 360)
at the beginning of this past october, the xbox started to overheat, it had reached the end of its lifespan
it was never designed to run for such a long period continuously and finally said no more.
currently, the server is being run out of a virtual machine, but hopefully soon i will have a new server for it.

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone have an xbox they don't want any more?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:19 PM »
i think i read somewhere that the original xbox had all kinds of crazy hacks available including the ability to run O.S. on it, i guess that's how you can use an xbox as a server. Anyway back to the main point i never owned a console from the xbox generation so i can't help you sorry, someone here must have an old xbox, hopefully.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:33 AM »
i think i read somewhere that the original xbox had all kinds of crazy hacks available including the ability to run O.S. on it,

Oh, let me tell you. Hacked Xboxes are wondrous things. I've got one in my living room right now & I'd never get rid of it. You can run all sorts of things on it & even turn it into a media center for movies & music streamed from your network or the internet.

And to help the OP, I'd never get rid of mine, but sometimes you can get a sweet deal on eBay.

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:08 PM »
sweet deal != free
i have no money to spare right now
and yes, modded xboxes are wonderous things, i had it running a media center for a long time, but since i never used it i found that running linux with a webserver was a much better use

edit: you can actually run linux on a xbox 360 as well, but with a 54% failure rate i doubt i'd get a year out of it, much less three, and with such a short operational lifespan i don't think the amount of work required to get it running would be justified
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:15 PM by Krishean »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:53 PM »
[nobbc]sweet deal != free
i have no money to spare right now

I didn't know no cash outlay was a requirement. I'll keep my eyes open, but most people in my circle don't want to relinquish theirs.

edit: you can actually run linux on a xbox 360 as well, but with a 54% failure rate i doubt i'd get a year out of it, much less three, and with such a short operational lifespan i don't think the amount of work required to get it running would be justified

You can also run Linux on older PS3s. The new slim models don't have the option to...so far.