topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Partition manager for Win7?  (Read 4496 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Partition manager for Win7?
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Folk,
I'm looking for a partition manager that will work with Windows 7.  Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, but not certain where to put this.
I've tried
  • PC Wizard (free) - abominably slow, and does not show hard drive(s), only CD/DVD & thumb drives
  • Easeus (free) - won't install, the ubiquiitous Error 5:  Access is denied
  • Partition Magic - old, v8.0 - never gets out of autorun
  • GParted - Live CD - never implements
  • couple of other home-grown elements
I need to merge a couple of partitions on an HD in order to install Win7, then move appropriate files from the RC version to the paid version.
Or, if there is a way to simply upgrade the RC version w/o losing installed software and data, that would work, but haven't found that.
TIA, barn.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Partition manager for Win7?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:02 AM »
there are quite a few mentions of how to upgrade from the RC around the web, here's one that's probably worth a look: http://lifehacker.co...he-final-rtm-release

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Thx, nudone,

Somehow I over-looked the lifehacker bit - need to make them a permanent reference addition, I guess.
Sorry to be so long getting back, but it took most of a day - and a beer or three - to recover connectivity ... hell of a time for backup machine to die, but to paraphrase Murphy - or Occam's Razor? - when you need it most, it will work least.
Tha's pretty much why I wanted the partition manager, so I'd still have connectivity whilst modification of the new install was in play.

Oh, well ... just as an update, after upgrading, Easeus installed quite nicely.  However the upgrade pretty well made a hash of many of the config settings I'd imposed, and some of those settings seem to have moved <chortle />.  Thought wireless/internet was a goner, but got lucky, i.e., stumbled over the right config area while casting about desperately <chuckle />.

'Preciate the help and the reference/reminder.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:36 AM »
i'm glad it all (kind of) went well.