topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clever Windows Video (Windows Management Concept)  (Read 4465 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clever Windows Video (Windows Management Concept)
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=lsZvwyxJ9vk

Old but I rarely check gnome-look and just saw this in the popular section.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clever Windows Video (Windows Management Concept)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Interesting, but the system is not for me. I try to do as little as possible with the mouse. I have found awesome to really help that goal.

But if you are an apt mouse pusher, this might improve "performance" (as in getting tasks done).

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Thanks for the link housetier. By chance do you know of any videos on it? That sounds cool but scary.

I could barely figure out vimperator for Firefox and I googled it and there's mention of a key called mod4.

My biggest worry with keyboard shortcuts is that the default settings might be off and it can be hard to find recommendations for custom key settings.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:17 AM »
mod4 usually is the windows-key.

Most of these keyboard-centric applications or addons come with a default keybing set. Often users create alternative layout to deal with conflicts. I am lucky to not suffer from such conflicts so I can go with the defaults.

Haven't found videos showcasing awesome yet, but am still looking.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:18 AM »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Thanks. As with the case with many of these videos, they're more of a showcase than a tutorial.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

I was hoping for more of a clear guide on how to use the manager.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:43 PM »
mod4 starts managing mode. mod4+shift is for moving stuff around (mod4+shift+2 moves the currently active window to desktop number 2. mod4+2 simply switches to desktop number 2.

mod4+j/k selects the next/previous window of the current desktop; the order is shown at the top with the taskbar-like thingy. mod4+shift+j/k moves the windows around on the current desktop.

mod4+space selects a different layout for the current desktop. A layout describes how windows are placed on the desktop. mod4+u jumps directly to the window which has set a highlight (or urgent) flag.

mod4+m takes a window out of the normal layout control and makes it fullscreen; pressing mod4+m again resets to "normal" behavior. mod4+shift+c is essentially the same as clicking the "x" in conventional window managers.

windows can be dragged to a new position with mod4+leftclick. Windows that have the floating flag set can be dragged to any position, normal windows will snap into their new place according to layout.

Usually windows do not overlap; exceptions are floating windows, maximized windows (mod4+m), and when in fullscreen layout.

Layouts can be configured, maybe even on the fly using lua. awesome does have a notification area that is compatible with the freedesktop.org specification which means gnome and kde tools can use it. I haven't found a taskbar thingy that is compatible with applets from gnome.

mod4+r starts a command prompt for launching whatever commands you want. I am certain you can define keyboard shortcuts for programs you use often.

That's all for now :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:55 AM »
Nice. That sounds easy but if you can only convert that into video... "All will be well" :p