ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

a gmail system that works for me.

<< < (2/3) > >>

zridling:
Wouldn't it be cool if we had a home grown web mail app? Gmail-like, but just run on your own server. That's stupid talk, forgive me.

Stoic Joker:
Wouldn't it be cool if we had a home grown web mail app? Gmail-like, but just run on your own server. That's stupid talk, forgive me.
-zridling (November 13, 2009, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why? I host my own Email (have for years). I've often thougt about looking into a browser based access solution for my mail server ... I've just never had the time to get it off the ground.

JavaJones:
Google employees can read your email anytime? Really? And you know this how? :D

There are web-based interfaces to free/open source email servers. You could easily run your own mail server that way and have web access. Or if you have one of the millions of cheap web hosts out there, you get the same thing for free - POP, IMAP, and web-based email. The advantage there is that if your machine or 'net connection go down at home and you're away, you still have email.

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
Google employees can read your email anytime? Really? And you know this how? :D-JavaJones (November 13, 2009, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

This was a reference to a statement made when Gmail first went public that Google employees could, if need be, access users' emails 6 months after they were deleted. I think they removed that 'feature' pretty quickly after privacy organizations complained.

Over 30 privacy organizations are still petitioning Google over Gmail privacy issues. Your emails are still scanned by Google's computers to provide context-aware ads while you read your email. The information gleaned from these scans (not the emails themselves) are kept by Google for an unspecified amount of time. Google has declined to answer on how long it keeps this data.

And a bit of advice for those who keep all their emails on webmail servers forever, not just Google's, at least in the United States, after 6 months an email loses its protected status becoming just another database record & can be used by the company who owns the server however they wish including giving it to anyone they want. Coincidentally, Google actively encourages Gmail users to never delete any emails. Conclude whatever you may from correlating those two facts.

Carol Haynes:
If you have a server with CPanel you can host your own POP/IMAP/Webmail very easily.

Suppose you have domain.com registered on the server.

You just set up email addresses in the Mail section of CPanel.

You get a confrimation of POP/IMAP settings in the results screen

To access via webmail go to www.domain.com/webmail and login with the email account details.

It comes with 3 different webmail applications.

Not as sophisticated as GMail but is is more secure and you can use https if you have a certificate registered for your domain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version