ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Create Shortcut on the Destop (hopefully not as stupid as it sounds)

<< < (4/4)

skwire:
I downloaded and installed Xplorer2 and it works fine here.  However, I've uploaded a new version that allows you to specify the clipboard timeout amount.  Re-download using the same URL and you can now adjust the timeout like this in your alias:

Desktop Shortcutter | %ALIASDIR%\DesktopShortcutter.exe %LASTHWND% 5 /ICON=icons\Desktop.ico

You can change that 5 (timeout in seconds) to whatever number will work on your system.  You may have to experiment a little.  As for Firefox maximising, I have no idea.  I am running Firefox as well and haven't seen that behaviour.

jdd:
Perfect!   :Thmbsup:  It dosn't maximize Firefox anymore. Thanks.

app103:
Eóin: When I right click on a file, it takes approximately 5 seconds for the context menu to open.  Any idea why this would happen.  I have a 2-yr old Dell lap top with decent processor and 2 gig RAM running with Windows XP .
-jdd (March 01, 2010, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Take Eóin's advice, and if you are still having issues with it, read on...

A lot of software likes to stick entries on that SendTo menu (and the "New" menu), and the more stuff you have there the longer it takes to show the menu.

Might want to clean it up if that happens to be your issue.

There is lots of stuff you will never use and cleaning it up not only makes it faster, it makes it easier to find the entry on the menu that you are looking for. Just make sure you are not deleting any of the original stuff.

Keep these (yours may or may not have those odd file extensions showing, depending on how your system is configured):

* Compressed (zipped) Folder.ZFSendToTarget
* Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink
* desktop.ini
* Mail Recipient.MAPIMail
* My Documents.mydocs(this is from XP, there may be more with Vista/Win7)

Another thing that could cause it to be slow is an issue with one or more of your drives (very large single partition external drives are great for causing this), or having an unusually large number of drive letters it will have to add to the menu. (If you are up to W like I am, you'll be waiting a little bit for that SendTo menu to show)

mouser:
app and Eoin are right.

there are some nice articles and utils to help you diagnose this.
for example:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-fix-slow-right-click-problems-in-windows.html
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version