ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Google Go

<< < (3/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
Read it in the author's own words here.
-40hz
--- End quote ---

Lucid, knowledgable, and entertaining!

Renegade:
But enough of me writing about what's been written. Read it in the author's own words here.
-40hz (June 25, 2011, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some entertaining stuff in there:

Java

You didn't really think I would forget Java in my rant about C-oid languages, did you? Now, Java is almost the solution. Almost, were it not for reality.

--- End quote ---

But he does set off on a pet peeve of mine...

C#

I almost forgot this one. I actually did forget it, until feedback reminded me of it. Frankly, I hardly know C#. As a language, it seems to be nice, a great evolution of C and C++. What makes me stay away from it is the non-free nature.

--- End quote ---

Sigh... Same old same old...

He says nothing useful about C# at all. The sum of it is "I don't like Microsoft". I was hoping for something useful. Oh well...

But he does address Objective-C, and I really don't see the different between Obj-C and C# as far as his complaints go. As far as I can see, Obj-C is worse as it isn't even standardized. Sigh... Sounds more like a "let's all be cool and hate Microsoft" band-wagon. I just get sick of it. It's tired. Get over it.

In the end, he's simply not rational there. And not rational in the same way as my Apple hatred is irrational. It's not very productive. But at least I can admit it.

Then he goes on to praise Go with the same reasons that he gives for rejecting C#:

Remember this is a real-world language. And it is there. And it works. What use is a beautifully constructed language that doesn't get stable, finished or fast enough for real-world problems? It's easy to nitpick on details, but to make it a real product, you need to address all constraints. That's what Go does.

--- End quote ---

Meh... I suppose I just don't see much of a point to Go. It doesn't seem to solve any problems for me, and only seems to add on an additional learning curve, though the syntax is very very C-ish, and wouldn't really present much of a problem to learn. Still, it's new, and I don't see much in the way of a community or support, so it seems kind of pointless for me. I really only care about getting things done as quickly as possible. Go doesn't address that for me. Maybe in a few years that will change though.

What I would like to see in a language is:

It can be used both compiled and scripted
It has wide support in platforms
It has wide support in browsers
It can interact with components/libraries from other languages easily
It has a large community
It has solid third party component/library support

I don't know of any language that has that. The computing community simply won't ever get its act together and address those first 4 points. It's just too fragmented. Everyone is always running off and developing their own language to solve all the same problems that some other language has already solved, but instead, they're solving the problem a different way. I quite frankly don't care HOW you solve the problem as long AS you solve the problem. Semi-colons are irrelevant to me. Curly braces don't matter. Whether you use := or == or === or = or or => or >> or << or ? or whatever, I don't care. I only want to get as much done as possible with as little work as possible. I'm lazy. I admit it. :)

I think I'll be making the plunge into HTML5 and JavaScript development soon. I'm dreading it though. JS doesn't meet #4 above, which seems limiting. I'm just not a fan of JS. It just seems slow and clunky. I suppose I'm somewhat jaded though after suffering through so many years of crappy JS on sites that doesn't work.

40hz:
@Ren - I think he also said his big issue with C# is that it isn't officially multiplatform, and likely never will be. Even worse, Mono (C#'s so-called 'open source alternative') is in the same position as any capital prisoner: it's already legally dead. All that now remains is for Microsoft to set the date for its execution.  :)

P.S. The article was released under Creative Commons share and share alike. Feel free to republish and add to it subject to the attribution rules. I think it would be great if it sparked some serious yet humorous dialog and became a 'living' document. That's the sort of thing that often goes on to provoke real changes. :Thmbsup:

steeladept:
it's already legally dead. All that now remains is for Microsoft to set the date for its execution.
-40hz (June 26, 2011, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Um, didn't Microsoft officially sanction Mono?  I mean wasn't that what all the hype around Mono was for - it was a Novell project utilizing the MS-Novell agreement to gain access to the core components so they could code it against MS reference data?  Of course now that Novell is dead, I am guessing Mono is too, or soon will be; but I thought part of the agreement included the MONO project and it's endorsement by Microsoft was at least partial proof of that.

Renegade:
Hooray for Miguel~!

The same guy that brought you GNOME...

Is continuing MONO~!

http://xamarin.com/

It's not dead. It's simply changed bodies. Kind of like Doctor Who.

NOW try and tell me that Mono isn't uber-fucking-cool~! :P :D  ;D  8)   :Thmbsup:

Like try and tell me that you've never fantasized about having a TARDIS... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version