ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Google Go

(1/8) > >>

Ehtyar:
We'll dispense with the unnecessary "Google is evil, despite what they say" diatribe and get right to the good stuff: Google have opened up a new programming language that they're calling Google 'Go'. It's based heavily on C but it looks to me like it's a little more "functional" in terms of syntax. Their goals were apparently faster compile times (were they thinking of C or C++?) and a more expessive syntax (hence the "functional" bit I guess).

Ars (as usual) has a good write-up here, and the official site is here. I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but if anyone else has please let us know what you thought.

A Google TechTalk has been posted here.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
I just watched the video. Admittedly there were a number of parts that were above my level of understanding. What I did understand sounded very interesting.

I'll be keeping my eye on it. :)

Thanks for pointing this out, Ehtyar!

mouser:
Maybe someone wants to make a "Go" app for NANY 2010?

I haven't taken a look at the language yet, but i think it's a bad sign that it has such a pretentious and, worst of all, search-engine-unfriendly name.  That name virtual guarantees you would have an extremely difficult time searching for help on the language (unless of course the company that controls the dominant search engine can bias search results.. oops.. conflict of interest anyone?)  Seriously though, that is an extremely stupid and spoiled-brat-like decision to make regarding naming a language.

rgdot:
Not sure if this will be a big issues but:

"Reported by fmccabe, Yesterday (28 hours ago)

I have been working on a programming language, also called Go, for the last 10 years. There have been papers published on this and I have a book.
I would appreciate it if google changed the name of this language; as I do not want to have to
change my language!"

http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=9

mouser:
very interesting find rgdot.  now the normal way big corporations deal with such problems is just to throw money and job offers at the people they infringe on and then just keep on truckin'.  let's see if google is any different..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version