topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Legal Insanity  (Read 4843 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Legal Insanity
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:35 PM »
So I'm down at the British Embassy pub chatting with some people, and a fellow I know relates a story a friend of his...

Buddy drives up to a red light and stops. (This is where the trouble begins...)

Happily waiting for the light to change, he doesn't notice a speeding bus behind him that fully plans on running the red light...

Luckily (or unluckily as the case may be), the passenger-packed bus slams on the brakes to avoid hitting him. However, in doing so, the many passengers all fly forward with the sudden stop, with many of them being injured to one degree or another.

Blissfully unaware of the happenings behind him, he proceeds to drive on when the light turns green...

Fast forward a couple weeks, and buddy gets a fine for KRW 2,000,000 (close to USD 2,000, and almost exactly AUD 2,000) for dangerous driving BECAUSE HE STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT WHILE THE BUS FULLY PLANNED ON ILLEGALLY RUNNING THE RED LIGHT BUT STOPPED AND IN THE PROCESS, INJURED PEOPLE.

WTF? Huh? :S

Now... just think about THAT the next time you stop for a red light in Korea. ;)

Anyone else got any true 'legal insanity' stories from their neighbourhood?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Legal Insanity
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:38 AM »
Devils advocate here, but different countries have different laws and different interpretations of the law. The guy in question may genuinely been in the wrong by Korean standards even if he wouldn't have been in another country.

It's the travellers duty to adapt to a foreign culture, in law and also in their definitions of common sense and appropriate behaviour.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:46 AM »
As long as he wasn't on the phone ... either action is fine with me.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Devils advocate here, but different countries have different laws and different interpretations of the law. The guy in question may genuinely been in the wrong by Korean standards even if he wouldn't have been in another country.

It's the travellers duty to adapt to a foreign culture, in law and also in their definitions of common sense and appropriate behaviour.

Unfortunately, he was perfectly in line with the law. That's where the insanity lies. There is no "rule of law" in Korea, and laws are loosely applied or bent quite often. That's where problems begin; you cannot predict what the law is 100% of the time, and you cannot necessarily abide by the law even if you try.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:29 PM »
There is no "rule of law" in Korea, and laws are loosely applied or bent quite often

That's kinda my point, if Korea is different in that respect then it is up to us travellers to adapt to that.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Unfortunately, he was perfectly in line with the law. That's where the insanity lies. There is no "rule of law" in Korea, and laws are loosely applied or bent quite often. That's where problems begin; you cannot predict what the law is 100% of the time, and you cannot necessarily abide by the law even if you try.
Soooo...aren't you glad you're getting out of there?   :P :P :P :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:13 PM »
There is no "rule of law" in Korea, and laws are loosely applied or bent quite often

That's kinda my point, if Korea is different in that respect then it is up to us travellers to adapt to that.

It's not anything to do with travelers. It's for everyone.

Soooo...aren't you glad you're getting out of there?   :P :P :P :P

Well, yes and no. I'll miss Seoul for sure.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 06:38 PM »
You'll be pleased to know that in Aussie Land you will be expected to *strictly* abide by the road laws; look out for those speed cameras, red light cameras, and 40kph school zones on highways...

Ehtyar.