ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online

<< < (11/16) > >>

superboyac:
I think what they're missing is the bluster and naive arrogance of the Victorian era, when men were men, women were women, and English virtues were the only virtues worth owning. It had an aura of innocence and certainty that you can't recreate in a modern setting. Nor can you duplicate the romance that the imagery of a fog shrouded horse drawn London provided. Setting and the era  are at the heart of Sherlock Holmes appeal. Much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells needed a less technologically sophisticated world in which to create their wonders and make them believable within that context. Steampunk is trying to get some of that back, but it's still only a pastiche no matter how skillfully it's done.
-40hz (August 06, 2012, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is a beautiful explanation of it, thank you.  This is also a new thing to me.  I'm starting to notice all the British influences in my life, it's interesting.  I'm definitely getting a better sense of what it means to be British specifically as opposed to American.  it's something I never understood before.

And you've now given me many hours of Holmes to look forward to.

jgpaiva:
Lost is definitelly a classic, even though it got terrible somewhere in the middle (golf episode, anyone?). It did get way better towards the end :)

Also, a +1 for sherlock: great actors (I love the moriarty character), good directing and an awesome story.
If you're a fan of science fiction with a pinch of humour, I recommend the last Dr.Who season, I had a blast wathching it :)

AndyM:
I think the new Sherlock series is excellent, but I'm with 40hz:  Jeremy Brett's Holmes is unparalleled!

40hz:
@SB - just in case you can't find it, here's that wonderful moment from A Scandal in Belgravia. It shouldn't spoil anything seeing it:

;)

mouser:
4 seasons of the great and unappreciated Farscape sci-fi tv series are now on Netflix:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Farscape/70136110?trkid=13462057

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version