Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 24, 2014, 01:49:44 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online  (Read 16396 times)
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »

I think what they're missing is the bluster and naive arrogance of the Victorian era, when men were men, women were women, and English virtues were the only virtues worth owning. It had an aura of innocence and certainty that you can't recreate in a modern setting. Nor can you duplicate the romance that the imagery of a fog shrouded horse drawn London provided. Setting and the era  are at the heart of Sherlock Holmes appeal. Much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells needed a less technologically sophisticated world in which to create their wonders and make them believable within that context. Steampunk is trying to get some of that back, but it's still only a pastiche no matter how skillfully it's done.
This is a beautiful explanation of it, thank you.  This is also a new thing to me.  I'm starting to notice all the British influences in my life, it's interesting.  I'm definitely getting a better sense of what it means to be British specifically as opposed to American.  it's something I never understood before.

And you've now given me many hours of Holmes to look forward to.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

Lost is definitelly a classic, even though it got terrible somewhere in the middle (golf episode, anyone?). It did get way better towards the end smiley

Also, a +1 for sherlock: great actors (I love the moriarty character), good directing and an awesome story.
If you're a fan of science fiction with a pinch of humour, I recommend the last Dr.Who season, I had a blast wathching it smiley

AndyM
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »

I think the new Sherlock series is excellent, but I'm with 40hz:  Jeremy Brett's Holmes is unparalleled!
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »

@SB - just in case you can't find it, here's that wonderful moment from A Scandal in Belgravia. It shouldn't spoil anything seeing it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzpgH_ZByQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzpgH_ZByQ</a>

Wink

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »

4 seasons of the great and unappreciated Farscape sci-fi tv series are now on Netflix:

http://movies.netflix.com...e/70136110?trkid=13462057
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »

^+1 indeed a gem of a scifi series. Good arching story lines.

Don't forget about seeing the Peace Keeper wars. I'm not sure if these two episodes of Farscape are included nowadays, but they weren't around when I saw this series the first time around, years ago.
MilesAhead

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 05:25:17 PM »

According to search, Nowhere Man is available on Netflix.  I had the box set.  Very interesting show.

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
 - Groucho Marx

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

Making a Post, Editing it twice to make it nice.

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »

I think what they're missing is the bluster and naive arrogance of the Victorian era, when men were men, women were women, and English virtues were the only virtues worth owning. It had an aura of innocence and certainty that you can't recreate in a modern setting. Nor can you duplicate the romance that the imagery of a fog shrouded horse drawn London provided. Setting and the era  are at the heart of Sherlock Holmes appeal. Much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells needed a less technologically sophisticated world in which to create their wonders and make them believable within that context. Steampunk is trying to get some of that back, but it's still only a pastiche no matter how skillfully it's done.
This is a beautiful explanation of it, thank you.  This is also a new thing to me.  I'm starting to notice all the British influences in my life, it's interesting.  I'm definitely getting a better sense of what it means to be British specifically as opposed to American.  it's something I never understood before.

And you've now given me many hours of Holmes to look forward to.

I know this is a Necro Thread, but then Sherlock Holmes is a 100 year old classic, so why complain that a thread is "all of a year old"? So here goes.

I'll reverse it: What the old series had that maybe the modern takes don't (I haven't seen them) is respect for both pondering and the spoken word. I'm having trouble recalling scenes where Holmes was actually fighting - yes, he could avoid a two bit thug, but he didn't go around becoming known as the next great fighter.

Instead, he sorta just tripped-and-punched the thug, *then went home*. Then he thought a lot about what it all meant (with Watson as a sounding board.)

So in one sense, it's back to my theme this month about pacing - sometimes he sent off a letter by postal mail, and he knew there wouldn't even be an answer for about three days. That alone is way different from our hyper-speed world!

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.046s | Server load: 0.11 ]