ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online

<< < (9/16) > >>

MilesAhead:
That's what I liked about many of the Asian TV series. There are long running series like the Japanese show Kinpachi Sensei, but a lot of them are mini-series.  The most common range, just from my anecdotal experience, seems to be 8 - 16 episodes.  If it's a big hit they may do a Season II or even III but usually the concept is beaten to death by then. It's more refreshing if they do 8 or 9 shows then move on to another concept.

As one example, a show about the lust for Olympic Gold, 11 episodes:

Gold

Trouble is many of the free online streaming sites get 4 or 5 episodes in, and it peters out. Maybe due to lack of English subtitles.  Many of the subbers raise hell if their subs end up on streaming sites. In this case Gold on MySoju seems to be stuck on Episode 5.

40hz:
I'm partial to the modern British TV Sherlock Holmes series simply called Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson. If you're a Holmes fan, or a Baker Street Irregular, you'll especially appreciate the way the writers have taken classics from "The Canon" and given them a very workmanlike update and modern twist. Una Stubbs plays a marvelous Mrs.Hudson ("Not your housekeeper, dear.") as does Andrew Scott as Jim Moriarty, an utterly twisted and psychotic modern interpretation of Holmes' arch-nemesis Professor Moriarty.

Favorite episode: A Scandal in Belgravia featuring actress Lara Pulver as a stunning and brilliantly understated Irene Adler (aka: "The Woman"), updated from an opera star and 'adventuress' in the original Doyle story (A Scandal in Bohemia) to a professional dominatrix in this modern telling.

There's a great moment when she informs Sherlock Holmes: "I would have you right here - on this table - until you begged for mercy twice." When the normally unflappable Holes replies that he never begs, she merely arches her eyebrows and says, "Twice."

Watch it. It's a great series and now available for streaming on Netflix. :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
^^I was introduced to this Sherlock Holmes show a few months ago.  I also really enjoyed it, so I concur and recommend it as well.  They made it really fun for a lot of different types of audiences.  I'm a huge Holmes fan, been reading the books since I was a kid.  The new movies are pretty good also.

I will have one point of criticism for this new modernized version of Holmes: they are both missing something.  i don't know what it is, but there's a quality to the books that doesn't seem to translate well to our hip societies.  I think what the rehashes have done well is take the subtleties of the stories that normally get ignored, like the personalities, and they've exaggerated them to show everyone how these are different than the same ol Holmes depicitions of the last 100 years.  And I like that, but it's a little too much.  The original stories were a little more subdued.  Holmes' wittiness wasn't so in your face.  I mean, the movies turned him into a British Jackie Chan.  yes, he's a good fighter, but Holmes was also always surrounded by a sense of gritty realism.

Anyway, a friend of mine recommended I watch the British Holmes version from the 80s, which is supposed to be very good and authentic (Jeremy Brett is Sherlock). Here's the amazon link.

superboyac:
Ok, my turn now.  My new favorite show is Louie:

This guy...I can't say enough good things about this guy.  The show is funny, beautiful, honest, emphatic, shocking...genius.  He does things with relationships that is just the most honest portrayal of dating and parent/child stuff that I have ever seen on the tube.  Which reminds me...I'm about to watch the latest one, can't wait!!

I believe season 1 is on netflix streaming.

superboyac:
There's a great moment when she informs Sherlock Holmes: "I would have you right here - on this table - until you begged for mercy twice." When the normally unflappable Holes replies that he never begs, she merely arches her eyebrows and says, "Twice."
-40hz (August 05, 2012, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
^^, by the way 40, i have to see that scene.  I love that Bohemia story, one of my favorite endings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version