ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How would you improve a standard PC keyboard?

<< < (9/12) > >>

AndyM:
Put the App/Context/RightClick (whatever you call it) back next to the Right-Control key.
-AndyM (November 09, 2009, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nobody else misses the APP key?

Ath:
-AndyM (November 12, 2009, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
++1;

Yes, should have mentioned that in my rant, earlier, on the bad new layout issue. Now I have to hunt for the Shift-F10 combination.
Also have to add the crap descision to regroup the functionkeys by 3 instead of the once common 4 key layout. It gets worst, I guess >:(, can't believe I paid all that money for such a crappy designed keyboard :down:

tomos:
Put the App/Context/RightClick (whatever you call it) back next to the Right-Control key.
-AndyM (November 09, 2009, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

-AndyM (November 12, 2009, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's still here lol -
Logitech media keyboard - german layout though

Advantage of the Shift+F10 is it toggles the context menu. dont know why the apps key doesnt do that :(
But true it is a lot more awkward

Kamel:
I actually wrote up a large article on how to improve input handling on PC's, I believe this would apply.

I don't remember exactly how it went (and no clue where the article went or if it even still exists), but basically it would serialize input devices so that they could be distinguished between programmatically. Of course, they would still have a legacy behavior, but for a program which was aware of the specifications, they could do some neat things.

For example, one could have 2 mice on a computer, working independently. One could hold many keys down on the keyboard at once and it would not error out, etc. Some of these features (especially holding many keys at once without erroring) would require the use of drivers.

Also, each key could be assigned to any other key function or scancode. This would allow one to easily map any key to what they want to do, rather than being limited by the configuration options of the program itself.

Again, I had a large write-up on how it would actually work, but i forgot it. People will argue it's not possible, but i actually had shown it was possible in the writeup. It did have some caveats though, like the requirements of a driver, more hardware within the input device itself [thus, more $$$] but I would be willing to pay more for such a setup.

Hermit2003:
Not so much improve as go back to something that got changed for no good reason.

1) Reduce the size of the right SHIFT key and go back to giving us a correctly sized (as in vertically bigger) ENTER key.

2) Reduce the size of the BACKSPACE key and put the ESC key back in the 'numbers row' (top-left) where it belongs.

I'd be happy with both these ideas. I disagree with those who want to get rid of CAPS LOCK, however. It has many good uses, especially for writers and teachers. For those who accidentally hit it and find out halfway through  ;Dthat their whole email seems to be a flame, learn to program the Caps Lock key to give a warning sound when pressed. Porblem solved!

-40hz (November 09, 2009, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version