ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How would you improve a standard PC keyboard?

<< < (2/12) > >>

housetier:
I'd want the number block on the left side so the mouse won't be too far away from the center of the keyboard. Better yet, completely do away with the number block like many laptops do

cyberdiva:
Better yet, completely do away with the number block like many laptops do
-housetier (November 09, 2009, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
This would really make my life difficult, since I use the ALT+4 keyboard combinations to type a number of characters, especially those not found in English, such as ñ (ALT+0241), é (ALT+0233), ¿ ALT+0191), etc.  Without a numeric keypad on my laptop, I find typing these characters exceedingly cumbersome, since I have to go to some bother to make some of the regular keys function as numeric keys.  (As a result, I've added a third-party program, AllChars, to my laptop.)  On my desktop, which DOES have a numeric keypad, there's no problem.  I don't need a separate program for typing these characters, and I don't need to resort to the built-in and very cumbersome Character Map (useful only if you type such characters only rarely).  Moreover,  I can type these characters on just about any keyboard, since they're not dependent on a third-party program. 

All this is just a longwinded way to say that I would NOT want to get rid of the numeric keypad.

40hz:
do away with the number block like many laptops do
-housetier (November 09, 2009, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do that and you've just alienated all the people in the financial and management sectors who spend more time on their numeric keypads than they do on their QWERTY keys.

Ever try to work in Excel for more than 5 minutes without a numeric keypad? :)

Just my 2¢ (or ALT 0162 on the keypad if you prefer :P)

housetier:
Well with so many people on this planet, we cannot all be working with excel, can we?

Innuendo:
I'd want the number block on the left side so the mouse won't be too far away from the center of the keyboard. Better yet, completely do away with the number block like many laptops do-housetier (November 09, 2009, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are desktop keyboards out there that do away with the numeric keypad available for purchase right now. Go forth, buy one, and enjoy your version of keyboard happiness. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version