ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Version Control for non-software project for dummies

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
Stay away from SharePoint - relatively easy getting data into, but when(!) you want to move away from it again because it turned out to be a big tangled mess of FUBAR, well... good luck. (Perhaps we were just super unlucky at school, but that p.o.s system definitely didn't leave with me with impressions of SharePoint).

Have to find something to keep the storage requirements for the repository as low as possible, because currently only the last 3 versions of a project are kept in storage, packaged in zipfiles, and older revisions are just discarded :-\-Ath (November 08, 2009, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
SVN is pretty compact because it stores delta-sets rather than complete changes every time (this works for textfiles, not sure if it's implemented for binary files though - which is why I suggested that project database files could be converted to/from text if possible) :)

Ath:
Checked out the faq of SVN in the meantime, and it seems they have indeed a good support for diffs of bin files, so storage requirements, unlike CVS, should be rather modest. I'm currently not sure they the customer wants to keep the entire history of changes, but it should appeal to them, imho.
The sharepoint 'thing' is what I would like to avoid; I really, really, really dislike it from the (little) use I had with it.

Guess the SVN, using the SharpSvn .NET library, is a very promising candidate now 8)

Ath:
Hm, I've been looking around for an existing solution to the problem I posed above, but there does not seem to be an application that could solve it for me.
Guess I'll have to write it myself then, but it will be a nice project, and a good reason to finally do a major development project in VS2008/.NET 3.5 or even VS2010/.NET 4.0 8)
If possible, I'll post my progress and solution here, but can't make any promises, as it's most likely going to be closed source and maybe even closed anything.

Thanks for the advices so far, any suggestions are ofcourse welcome :)

JavaJones:
If such a thing really doesn't exist, it seems like a niche waiting to be filled! I know my office could use something like it. Hmm...

- Oshyan

Ath:
Well, the 'closed anything' actually means it could be a commercial app without me having real control over it. I'm still negotiating with the customer, and ownership and rights are some of the subjects.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version