ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Executable Compressor Programs

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
no.  read carefully jibz smileys only come off strike when jibz visits the irc channel.

Carol Haynes:
Ah - cattle prods out there ...

Here Jibzy, Jibzy ....

Sentinel:
Jibz makes a very good point (as always), there is much more to consider than size alone.  Personally with all of the computing power available today, size is not an issue, compatibility is key.  I used UPX for a long time and it really is a great util, but from the release of Visual Studio 2003 onwards it started having compatibility issues with certain executables that were not easily resolved.  These days I use PECompact simply because it is fully featured, stable and has great support from the author.  That being said, as any common sense you have may say, avoid compressing or releasing anything with the alpha/beta releases.  :D

jdd:
Sometimes ......size does matter.  We are working on a program and the executable is about 24MB.  We want to shrink it down as much as possible so it can be downloaded or emailed.

jdd

f0dder:
Sentinel, the problem with UPX and later-version VC executables is the "load config" data generated. You can use a tool like HIEW to nuke it, then UPX won't have any problems. Or I guess I could code a small tool to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version