ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (22/26) > >>

MilesAhead:
You know, I had this problem once a long time ago.  i don't remember what it was exactly, but I posted about it in these forums and it was fixed.  perhaps it is similar.  if I remember I'll let you know for sure.
-superboyac (December 01, 2009, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you.  I posted on HP business support forum.  If it's an HPism somebody there has probably seen it. I've seen posts by people with a similar issue with auto-insert notification where they say XP SP1 won't do it, but putting SP2 on did, or SP2 didn't do it, but putting SP3 on did, etc..  It's got to be something to do with the HD controller and those memory stick slots.  If it ain't then I'll really be surprised.  Just the fact that almost nobody is seeing it makes me think it's brand specific weirdy.

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmm, whatever it is, it goes away when I disable the CDROM in device manager.  I have AutoRun set to 0.  That should fix it.  Apparently not in W7.

As soon as I enable the CDROM in device manager, the 1 second ticking starts right up again.

edit: I can tell it's going to be one of those deals where you put on the OS you want to run and there's no way to tell before hand if you'll get the dreaded blink or not.  Newer OS or SP may fix it, but it may also break it.  Guess the guy with the duct tape approach might have something after all.

delwoode:
For me its all about maximum program compatability. This is why I am using xp and not a mac os or umbuntu or whatever.-delwoode (November 24, 2009, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did the "I'm going to run the less popular, but infinitely more cool OS" thing a long time ago. It was the Amiga & to this day modern OSes could learn a thing about it's elegance and grace. AmigaOS could pre-emptively multi-task very well with just 512K of RAM. Installing device drivers was a simple matter of copying one or two files into a certain directory on your hard drive. Remove the device later? Just delete those two files & you're done. Independent file formats ensured that any word processor could load a file written with another. Same with images and graphics programs. Just try to tell me that wasn't elegant.

I moved to a PC when I realized that, for me, a computer isn't about it's OS. It's about the apps.

I tried Win7 for a couple of weeks. Too many of my  apps didnt like it or would not work. I tried work arounds.  So I will stay with xp for a couple more years until the apps catch up with the operating system.
--- End quote ---

No offense, but your problem isn't a case of your apps not catching up to the operating system. That's already happened. Anything that can work on Vista (a two year old OS) can work on Win7. Anything that can't needs to be upgraded or replaced. Any apps still in development will work with Win7. If yours don't then chances are development stopped a long time ago and you need to start searching for a replacement that'll do what it did.
-Innuendo (November 24, 2009, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

well to be honest I cant now remember which progs I could not get to run. I just know they were ones I wanted to use!  I especially had problems with some portable apps.  Anyway in the end I thought, hmm not a bad os but I will come back to it in a couple of years, by then the  current progs will all work, at least I hope!  Since I moved back to xp I cant say I missed anything about Win7.  To be honest the only reason I moved from win98 to XP was because my favourite program at the time Adobe Photoshop stopped making their app compatible with 98 so I was forced to change.

dMbTiger:
I loaded W7 onto 2 machines (64 &32).  Haven't used either much yet, but I figure problems with security, obsolete apps, etc. will sort themselves out eventually.  Have to go with the flow if you want to stay with Microsoft OSs.  I still have XP Pro on my workhorse machine and Vista Home on one laptop (other two are XP Pro).  Make a gradual transition as I have the time to familiarize myself with 7.  I have a quad core box that I want to install W7, Ubuntu, and Snow Leopard on, but I can't get a copy of VMWare or a reliable boot loader, so that's on hold for now.  Anyone have any ideas that would help me get that project going would be greatly  appreciated.

Dan

cmpm:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

says it's free and works on w7
i think it has limits though....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version