ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (11/26) > >>

tomos:
OT (a bit) - what settings are people using for the XP VM? I'm at default, which assigns 512MB of RAM. Performance is not brisk!
-Darwin (November 19, 2009, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder how that ties in with the whole 32 vs 64-bit thing - i.e.
if on 32-bit OS, does that amount come out of the allocated 4GB memory?

f0dder:
OT (a bit) - what settings are people using for the XP VM? I'm at default, which assigns 512MB of RAM. Performance is not brisk!
-Darwin (November 19, 2009, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder how that ties in with the whole 32 vs 64-bit thing - i.e.
if on 32-bit OS, does that amount come out of the allocated 4GB memory?
-tomos (November 19, 2009, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, the VM app still has to allocate from what the OS makes available to it.

For a new OS install on a decent machine, I wouldn't go 32bit these days.

Darwin:
Overall, 64 bit has been an awesome upgrade for me. On new hardware with enough RAM and video memory, the performance "hit" that you experience running a 32-bit program under a 64-bit OS is negligible in my experience AND you can install up to 16 exabytes of RAM! OK, so the reality is that you can't currently install or access anything near that (8 terabytes is the current limit, apparently), but still... 6, 8, 12 GB of RAM vs 3 to 3.5 under 32-bit. Even if your 32 bit programs can only access 2GB of your RAM on a 64 bit system, the OS still has plenty of RAM to play with.

urlwolf:
I'm actually moving full-time linux. But win7/w2008 was ok.

Darwin:
I'm actually moving full-time linux. But win7/w2008 was ok.
-urlwolf (November 19, 2009, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm loving Windows 7, but increasingly I'm losing my "loyalty" to the 3rd party shareware that I have purchased over the years that has kept me on Windows. For example, when I moved from XP to Vista, I simply didn't re-install a bunch of shareware that I've purchased over the years. Similarly, moving to Windows 7, I uninstalled a lot of shareware that I wasn't really using. This leaves me, essentially, with Office 2007, my AV/AS app, some text editors, and my PDF suite to "worry" about. Not sure that I care that much anymore... Maybe it's time to do as I have long threatened and re-purpose my Win2k or XP machine as a Linux box and see how I get on...

Anyway, good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version