ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (21/26) > >>

MilesAhead:
If it was defrag it would run on.  I'm talking about a ticking like a clock every one or two seconds. The LED just lights, then goes out.-MilesAhead (December 01, 2009, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Last time I saw something like that was when Windows 95 was out. A driver update and a new BIOS fixed it.

It doesn't stay on like when the HD is being accessed steadily such as during defrag.
--- End quote ---

Defrag-when-idle doesn't just access your hard drive steadily. It'll defrag a couple seconds, stop a couple seconds to see if any other program needs to perform any operations, defrag again a couple seconds, etc.

-Innuendo (December 01, 2009, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think we are mixing issues.  One is if you get excessive HD access that interferes with using your own machine(as in Vista pre SP1.)  The other is a ticking LED.  The ticking LED will not go away no matter if your HD is fragged, defragged, the defragger is not running, you boot to safe mode with no network support, windows search on off, superfetch on off.  In short, it's a hardware polling that's likely some defect in a driver.

The people who have HD access that interferes with them using their own machine don't have my issue.  If you google you'll see that over the years there has been a steady complaint with a small number of people with HD LED ticking like a clock.  If it was common there would be more posts about it. That's why I deem it a hardware polling issue.

All these other suggestions about turning this or that service off, eliminating scheduled tasks, yadda yadda, been there, done that.  It's not it.

MilesAhead:
Simply "polling" a harddrive (which I can't imagine being done) shouldn't cause the LED to light - only if you're reading or writing the drive... but that can happen for a lot of reasons. I don't see that happening on my install, but I've stripped off windows search/indexing and defragger.

What other software do you have running in the background?
-f0dder (December 01, 2009, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not software running in the background.  If it was, it would not tick like a clock.  This is constant 24 hours a day/seven days a week.  If there is HD access it is in addition to the "ticking".  If you don't believe me Google "LED every second auto-insert notification" and see what you get.

MilesAhead:
Defrag-when-idle doesn't just access your hard drive steadily. It'll defrag a couple seconds, stop a couple seconds to see if any other program needs to perform any operations, defrag again a couple seconds, etc.
-Innuendo (December 01, 2009, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

btw I appreciate you are trying to solve the problem but this is not what I'm seeing.  What I get is exactly like a metronome.  Every second or so the LED lights and immediately goes out.  There's no variable length staccato lighting of the LED as one would expect from background defragging.  It ticks is the only way I can describe it.  I've been using multi-tasking systems since around 1987.  It's not defrag.

MilesAhead:
Simply "polling" a harddrive (which I can't imagine being done) shouldn't cause the LED to light - only if you're reading or writing the drive... but that can happen for a lot of reasons. I don't see that happening on my install, but I've stripped off windows search/indexing and defragger.

What other software do you have running in the background?
-f0dder (December 01, 2009, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course it "shouldn't".  That's why I'm trying to fix it.  Sheesh!!

superboyac:
You know, I had this problem once a long time ago.  i don't remember what it was exactly, but I posted about it in these forums and it was fixed.  perhaps it is similar.  if I remember I'll let you know for sure.

OK i found it...
This is the thread.  The problem was SpySweeper.  That probably doesn't help you.  Sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version