topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Unreal Development Kit released by Epic  (Read 6911 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free Unreal Development Kit released by Epic
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Looks like game developers took notice of the potential lying within the indie scene, and they're increasingly making things easier for them to get into the market. If a few days ago Unity Technologies released a free version of its engine targeted towards hobbyists and aspiring developers, today is the turn for the very same Epic Games, who released what essentially is a non-commercial version of its Unreal Engine 3, perhaps the most widely used engine in commercial games during the last years, including some really big hits like Gears of War, BioShock or Mass Effect.

Screenshot - 05_11_2009 , 22_32_50_thumb.jpg

Unlike Unity, this looks to be a full-fledged version, except for its non-commercial use (those wishing to publish the game later, can take a look at the licensing terms), and the limited compatibility scope. While the engine can usually target games developed either for the PC, the XBOX 360 or the PlayStation 3, the UDK is restricted (for now) to the PC. There's more information about other things at the official website listed above, and a good summary over at ShackNews, along with the tools available for download.

via ShackNews
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:17 AM by Lashiec »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Unreal Development Kit released by Epic
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Thanks Lash! :up:

I always wanted to get a look at what one of those big expensive dev kits looked like. I doubt I'll ever do much more than play with it, but I'm going to grab a copy just the same.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:44 AM »
has there been any interesting projects developed with this engine since the free version was released?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Well, some of the projects presented for the latest phase of the Make Something Unreal contest are being further developed as full games using the UDK, but I think pretty much everything submitted for the contest started as a mod for Unreal Tournament 3, that is, there is no game developed from scratch using the UDK.

There are also a few games in the main page under the 'Showcase' section, but dunno if they were developed after the UDK release.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:14 AM by Lashiec »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30 PM »
thanks for the link. i knew about Prometheus and The Haunted but not the others. going through the list now.