topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system  (Read 93784 times)

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Bug: AnuVu displays logfile entries with repeating dates (logfile itself is fine):

========================================
current.anu
========================================
2009-11-12 @ 11:14:24 PM 2009-11-12 @ 11:14:24 PM (test) 
2009-11-12 @ 11:15:21 PM 2009-11-12 @ 11:15:21 PM (testy testy test test) 
2009-11-12 @ 11:15:24 PM 2009-11-12 @ 11:15:24 PM (test)   
2009-11-12 @ 11:15:28 PM 2009-11-12 @ 11:15:28 PM (testomattica)

I'll wait for the next rev before commenting on the style format.

Request (minor): Is it possible to keep current.anu always on top of the sorted list?
Request: User-configurable hotkey to launch AnuVu. (Options>Hotkeys tab)
Request: User option: Double-click on tray icon launches AnuVu, or Popup. (Popup by default.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 05:48 AM »
minor window bug (I think)

• Launch AnuVu
  • Maximise window
  • Close
  • Relaunch - it's full screen
  • Click the middle button for 'Normal' window - window stays full screen size

so I guess it's not remembering previous normal window size (or do apps usually have a default normal window size?)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 06:32 AM »
1) I think any feature requests I make at this stage are icing ;)
so...
 ~ Option in AnuVu to launch file in default (or custom) text editor ?

2) Also: Confirm Dr.Frog's report above - viewer showing double date/times

3) I'm wondering out loud here - if there's any way of stripping out the dates in a text editor - may seem like an odd idea - but I'm still unsure how I might use the programme in the future - & for some possible uses the times might just get in the way.
I'm not that familiar with find and replace - maybe if some editor can use wildcard (*) and removes from the § to the carriage return (I think Textmaker can do that actually)
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Bug: AnuVu displays logfile entries with repeating dates (logfile itself is fine):

Please attach the .anu file that does this.

Request (minor): Is it possible to keep current.anu always on top of the sorted list?
Request: User-configurable hotkey to launch AnuVu. (Options>Hotkeys tab)
Request: User option: Double-click on tray icon launches AnuVu, or Popup. (Popup by default.)

1-3. Added to the ToDo.

minor window bug (I think)

• Launch AnuVu
  • Maximise window
  • Close
  • Relaunch - it's full screen
  • Click the middle button for 'Normal' window - window stays full screen size

so I guess it's not remembering previous normal window size (or do apps usually have a default normal window size?)

AnuVu remembers the size and position of its window when it closes.  So, if it's maximised, it remembers those coordinates and, on start, moves and sizes the window according to those saved values.  It doesn't remember the maximised state.  I never maximise a window so I guess I don't notice these things much.   :)  I have hotkeys that move/resize windows into various locations.

That being said, I'll see what I can do about it.

1) I think any feature requests I make at this stage are icing ;)
so...
 ~ Option in AnuVu to launch file in default (or custom) text editor ?

2) Also: Confirm Dr.Frog's report above - viewer showing double date/times

3) I'm wondering out loud here - if there's any way of stripping out the dates in a text editor - may seem like an odd idea - but I'm still unsure how I might use the programme in the future - & for some possible uses the times might just get in the way.
I'm not that familiar with find and replace - maybe if some editor can use wildcard (*) and removes from the § to the carriage return (I think Textmaker can do that actually)

1. Added to the ToDo.
2. Please attach your .anu file.
3. Most text editors can do a regex match and replace.

As I get deeper into writing AnuVu, I may make some minor changes to the .anu format.  I say this because it will most likely break compatibility with previous .anu files.  Since it's early, I hope you two haven't saved too much important data in your .anu files.  =]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 07:32 AM »
Yeah - the maximise window would normally not be a problem & not a problem to me as I just used gridmove to resize it

Attached test file from a fresh 'install' - the only thing I changed was the timing of the popup. Still same problem with double dates showing in viewer - I had to change the extension to upload
Tom

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Thanks for sending the file and continuing to betatest, tomos.

The issue with AnuVu and maximization forgetfulness is something I've also seen happen in other apps, particularly browsers. I was able to replicate the issue, but it's pretty minor: just resize the window manually to resolve.

Skwire, could you also note in the changelog when you alter the logging format? You don't have to be super-specific, just a heads-up.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Skwire, could you also note in the changelog when you alter the logging format? You don't have to be super-specific, just a heads-up.

Absolutely.  However, I may not have to.  I was just throwing it out there that it may have to change since we're still very early in the development phase.

I've been working on the word-wrap feature but there is a snag.  In AHK, that property can't be toggled without re-creating the GUI.  So, would a settable option be acceptable?  I'm probably going to add an AnuVu tab to Anuran's option interface...it would go there.

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33 PM »

Absolutely.  However, I may not have to.  I was just throwing it out there that it may have to change since we're still very early in the development phase.

I've been working on the word-wrap feature but there is a snag.  In AHK, that property can't be toggled without re-creating the GUI.  So, would a settable option be acceptable?  I'm probably going to add an AnuVu tab to Anuran's option interface...it would go there.

That's fine. It's a little odd to the user, having to restart the viewer to toggle word-wrap, but as we discussed, it's the only way to implement the feature. I see this as a menu option, with an Ok/Cancel dialog that pops up, in case the user doesn't want to lose his current view. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully word wrap won't be something used with great frequency.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.7 - 2009-11-13
    + Added "Archive now" to the tray menu.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    + Added configurable hotkey to launch AnuVu.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    * AnuVu v1.0.3
        + On startup, only current.anu is now checked.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)  
        + Word wrap option added to AnuVu's Options menu.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
        + Added "Show each entry as one line" to Options menu.

If you have any .anu files that still display the dual-date issue, delete them.  Yeah, I took the easy way out...   :-[
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:14 AM by skwire »

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Excellent. I'll be using this build through the weekend and will submit my comments Monday.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.8 - 2009-11-15
    ! Fixed archiving bug where Anuran would never archive if shut down before archive timer fired.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    * Archived files now use the current.anu's file creation time for their filename timestamp instead of the current archiving time.
    * AnuVu v1.0.4
        + Added menu option: File, Export current view.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
        + Added configurable fonts for the listview, display & search fields under Menu, Options, Configure.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:15 AM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.9 - 2009-11-15
    + Added option to choose default tray click behaviour.  Options, General.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    * AnuVu v1.0.5
        + Added configurable external editor options under Menu, Options, Configure.  (Thanks, tomos)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:44 AM by skwire »

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2009, 05:59 PM »
anuran notes 1.0.7, 8, 9

Anuran:
- anuran and anuvu unpack some stuff in my temp folder. I'd like to keep this app portable and submit it to the portablefreeware.com directory, who are sticklers about apps leaving cruft behind. Frankly, I'm a stickler for this as well, since I'd like to use this app on host machines and want to be a good guest. Can we either have the app clean up after itself, or unpack this temporary matter to .\temp? Or have a user option to disable the behavior entirely?

AnuVu:
- Font controls are awesome, as is the 'open with external editor' control.
- Request: Are we  embedding metadata dates into the logfiles? If so, let's have AnuVu display those dates in columns in the log file pane, so they can be sorted accordingly. Columns: Created, Archived. Timestamp format can be arbitrary for easier parsing.
- Request: AnuVu remembers last sort settings in logfile pane. (if possible, still keeping current.anu on the top)

All in all, another great rev! Thanks, Skwire.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.10 - 2009-11-16
    * Moved \res directory to application directory instead of user's temp
      folder.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    * AnuVu v1.0.6
        * Moved \res directory to application directory instead of user's temp
          folder.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)

- Request: Are we  embedding metadata dates into the logfiles? If so, let's have AnuVu display those dates in columns in the log file pane, so they can be sorted accordingly. Columns: Created, Archived. Timestamp format can be arbitrary for easier parsing.
- Request: AnuVu remembers last sort settings in logfile pane. (if possible, still keeping current.anu on the top)

1.  Sorting the entries themselves will be painful but I'll try.
2.  I'll see what I can do about this one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:45 AM by skwire »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28 AM »
hi all
missed the last few updates so catching up today :up:

I'm a bit confused about a couple of things:-

I updated, started app, opened AnuVu from the tray:
I was able to look at "current.anu" which, as it happens, was still the one from friday (I have it set to archive log every one day :-\ - I didnt have Anuran running over the weekend btw). I havent checked it properly - will check tomorrow to make sure it archives. It would be nice (for my use anyway) if it archived at the end of each calender day - I'm not sure with "archive logs every [1] day(s)" - does that mean calendar day or 24 hours after the option is first set?

Anyways, I manually archived via options - made a few test entries & opened viewer. Looks good, I tried to open the current file in Notepad (via menu) - got a message
---------------------------
Notepad
Cannot find the .txt file.

Do you want to create a new file?
Yes   No   Cancel   

Ahhh, okay - it only opens archived files - maybe that could somehow be made clear? Or could it be possible to open current.anu?

BTW
Thanks for all the great work Skwire :-* credits heading your way :)
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2009, 04:22 AM »
I updated, started app, opened AnuVu from the tray:
I was able to look at "current.anu" which, as it happens, was still the one from friday (I have it set to archive log every one day :-\ - I didnt have Anuran running over the weekend btw). I havent checked it properly - will check tomorrow to make sure it archives. It would be nice (for my use anyway) if it archived at the end of each calender day - I'm not sure with "archive logs every [1] day(s)" - does that mean calendar day or 24 hours after the option is first set?

This behaviour should be corrected in v1.0.8.  Let me know if it doesn't archive properly from now on.

Anyways, I manually archived via options - made a few test entries & opened viewer. Looks good, I tried to open the current file in Notepad (via menu) - got a message
Notepad
Cannot find the .txt file.

Do you want to create a new file?
Yes   No   Cancel   

Ahhh, okay - it only opens archived files - maybe that could somehow be made clear? Or could it be possible to open current.anu?

Hmmm...it should open the current.anu just fine (if it exists).  All I'm doing is passing the list of paths to the configured editor.  I just tested it with regular notepad and it worked for a single file.  More capable editors can handle multiple files passed to them.

Thanks for the credits; I appreciate it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 05:00 AM »
Maybe it's to do with the 'update'
I'll try it with a fresh install so-to-speak -

Fresh 'install'.
Attempted 'Open in Notepad' (with single files only selected)
unfortunately doesnt work here with archived files *or* current.

The install that was updated - that now suddenly opens everything :tellme:

Okay, I've figured it out :) - I presumed it opened the currently ticked file(s) but it opens currently selected files

PS: another 'icing' request - that single (left) mouse-click on systray icon would also popup the menu
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Okay, I've figured it out :) - I presumed it opened the currently ticked file(s) but it opens currently selected files

Doh...sorry for the confusion.

PS: another 'icing' request - that single (left) mouse-click on systray icon would also popup the menu

I can make another general option that will let the user choose between single and double-clicking the tray icon.  Will that be acceptable?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2009, 07:22 AM »

I can make another general option that will let the user choose between single and double-clicking the tray icon.  Will that be acceptable?

that would be great - I find double clicking tray icons a very fussy business & mostly wish they would work like the quick launch icons, or at least respond in some way to a single click (!Campaign for Single Clicks!)
Tom

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Maybe it's to do with the 'update'
I'll try it with a fresh install so-to-speak -

Fresh 'install'.
Attempted 'Open in Notepad' (with single files only selected)
unfortunately doesnt work here with archived files *or* current.

The install that was updated - that now suddenly opens everything :tellme:

Suggestion - We can change the menu option to "Open selected with external editor."

EDIT: ... wait a sec, is it supposed to open checked files in an editor? I plumb forgot.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:29 PM by doctorfrog »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2009, 02:05 PM »
EDIT: ... wait a sec, is it supposed to open checked files in an editor? I plumb forgot.

I'm afraid it is a confusing one - I thought of suggesting changing the menu entry too, but I think I initially thought the file was selected if it was ticked - so saying "Open selected with external editor" wouldnt have helped...
One to ponder!

[edited] for clarity
Tom
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:08 PM by tomos »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Soooo...which behaviour would you like?  Open highlighted?  Or open checked?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Soooo...which behaviour would you like?  Open highlighted?  Or open checked?

I'm easy - actually I think 'as is' is best - you might have many files showing in viewer but it only opens last selected in Notepad anyways.

I was just trying to think of a way to make it clear to new users - I guess something like Dr.Frog suggested might be clearer (in the menu) - "Open selected file in Notepad" (?)
Tom

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2009, 06:18 PM »
I agree that as-is is fine. As for rewording the menu, the user already can make the text say whatever he wants from within AnuVu's option dialog, and Notepad is the default

Opening many files in notepad windows is an unlikely desire, IMO. I believe that mass export into plaintext is on the todo list anyway, which will reach the same end, with the added benefit that they'll also be a little bit easier to read. In the meantime, 'export current view to file' mostly fulfills that desire anyway.

Speaking of which:

- Feature request: AnuVu: select all/select none capability in logfile pane. This can be relegated to an Edit menu, or appended to the File menu.
- To Discuss: what are your thoughts on a buttoned toolbar in AnuVu? I personally don't need it, but do you think users will want it?

I'm really digging how AnuVu is shaping up overall. It's really becoming the face of the application.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:20 PM by doctorfrog »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2009, 09:52 PM »
it would be nice to have a screencast of this tool to show it in use.