ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system

<< < (2/24) > >>

skwire:
Hang tight...just finished implementing the archiving routine.

yksyks:
Try Stickies. I'm not sure if it fulfills all your requirements, but at least it doesn't steal focus, which is much appreciated.

skwire:
Give this a shot:  FrogDiary

Notes:

* Put the executable in its own folder since it will create an "archive" folder on first run.
* Press ctrl-enter in a diary note window for a newline.  Simply pressing Enter will save the note and close the window.
* Right-click the tray icon to bring the Options window back up.
* This is a quick prototype.  If it's close to what you had in mind, I'll flesh it out like my other apps.

tomos:
well, awaiting a response from dr.frog...
I gotta say it's very nice :-*  - I'll chance a couple of requests :-)

* one request would be that it stay on top until properly dismissed - currently can get lost behind other apps
* It would be nice if one could call it up manually to add a note
* oh yeah, it uses a 12 hr clock?
e.g. the saved text file says 20091105 05:53:35:
Windows time said 17:53
[edit] maybe that's bad manners - to make requests before drfrog approves - apologies if so [/edit]

doctorfrog:
great idea doctorfrog  :Thmbsup:

a couple of thoughts:

A reminder/diary system should never, ever, EVER steal focus away from what I'm working on. EVER! Something like this should help with workflow, not interfere with it.
-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 03:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would suggest that it stay on top though (that's maybe presumed - but just in case!)

Hitting ENTER makes the window go away. No other interaction is necessary.
--- End quote ---
If the window shows on top without focus - you'd then have to give it focus & then press enter - that would work. Otherwise I'd suggest not using ENTER - in my experience (with App103's "Instant Boss" app) hitting the Enter key at the 'wrong' time sends the reminder window away unintentionally, sometimes before I even see it. Could be done via a hotkey or maybe even with the mouse?
-tomos (November 05, 2009, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

* Yes, I should have put that in my list. Behavior should be on-top, unfocused, and ENTER dismisses only if it's in focus.
* Given that one might want to enter a diary entry at any time, or may have accidentally dismissed a popup before creating an entry,
* I should have also said: the app should live in the system tray, but the popup should appear in the task bar and be visible during ALT+TAB.Give this a shot:  FrogDiary

Notes:

* Put the executable in its own folder since it will create an "archive" folder on first run.
* Press ctrl-enter in a diary note window for a newline.  Simply pressing Enter will save the note and close the window.
* Right-click the tray icon to bring the Options window back up.
* This is a quick prototype.  If it's close to what you had in mind, I'll flesh it out like my other apps.
-skwire (November 05, 2009, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Skwire to the rescue. I'll be giving this a run-through over the next hour or two. Thanks!

In the meantime, tomos, thanks for testing this out with me. If you find that this proggie is also useful, your input is just as valid as mine is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version