anuran notes, 1.0.6
1. Request: add option to toggle wordwrap in log viewer pane
2. Request: add option to add 0,1, or 2 carriage returns between individual log entries. (readability) Option text: "Spaces between log entries: none, 1, 2"
3. Request: add option to add 0 or 1 carriage returns between timestamp and entry text. (readability) Option text: "Insert space between timestamp and log entry: Yes, No"
4. Request (maybe): If implementing 3, and user choice is "Yes," then indent log entry relative to timestamp (which is already indented). 2-3 spaces in should be sufficient. (readability)
5. Request (maybe): right click on logviewer pane = drop-down menu option: "Export to text." Result: saves everything currently in logviewer pane to a text file. (for really lazy users, or as a "discoverable" feature).
6. Concern: My one discomfort now is that, before we had text files being generated that could be human-read with ease. Now, because of the "SS" symbols in the logfile markup, using the viewer is every so slightly forced upon the user, since this is the prime location for a clean view of logs.
It's not too bad now, and may be unavoidable, but I suggest we remain cognizant of this, as one of my goals was to keep the logfiles human-readable through the ages, if the user forgets or loses Anuran, or the program itself becomes incompatible with future OS's. Thoughts?
7. Request (maybe maybe): With 6 in mind, offer an easy way to select all text files in the logfile pane and export as "pretty" text, as it would be displayed in the logviewer pane. Result: each individual logfile is translated into a pretty text file. (This is a fairly big maybe.)
8. Bug (keepin' this alive): Anuran only archives a logfile if the user-specified time increment passes while Anuran is running. Solution: base the archive increment on the creation time of current.anu.
- I like how the entries are indented slightly. This is a Good Thing.
- I like how AnuVu presents log files. We're moving in a very good direction. With Anuran, we have a means of generating scads of user data. A searchable viewer gives that data a lot more meaning and use. It's a more crucial element than I thought it would be at first, and I'm glad you're working on it.
- Your thoughts on my 'generic timestamp' suggestion above? (http://www.donationc....msg184295#msg184295