ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Comcast internet throttling is up and running

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
COMCAST, the second-largest US cable television and Internet communications service provider, has a new broadband traffic throttling scheme installed and operating in all of its markets.

The ISP's new regime for restricting its customers' bandwidth utilisation replaces its former stealthy practice of arbitrarily blocking subscribers' peer-to-peer (P2P) upload traffic, which was criticised by the FCC last year after it was exposed by the Associated Press and others.

Comcast's filing with FCC (PDF) says it has put in new hardware and software technology at its Regional Network Routers locations to effect this cunning traffic management plan.

Its network throttling implements a two-tier packet queueing system at the routers, driven by two trigger conditions.

Comcast's first traffic throttling trigger is tripped by using more than 70 per cent of your maximum downstream or upstream bandwidth for more than 15 minutes.

--- End quote ---

More at source

JavaJones:
Hmm, wonder if this affects the business users like me. Up until now I've been mercifully immune to most - if not all - of their restrictions. Sustained 20 mbit downloads for hours on end if I need. Hehe. I've been thinking of upgrading to the 50mbit package, mostly for the upstream...

- Oshyan

mouser:
not cool.  :down:

Stoic Joker:
I thought the FCC Squashed this crap a while back - Now they're at it again?!?

Josh:
They squashed comcast from arbitrarily throttling a specific protocol, in that case bittorrent, but did not forbid them from filtering traffic.

Source

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version