ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: "Compress each folder to separate archive"

<< < (2/2)

neptitude:
Hey, skwire, I guess adding it to SpinZip would work as long as I could drag-n-drop a handful of folders onto it and have it zip each dragged folder individually. Of course, I would prefer if it used RAR, but if that's not an option, ZIP works. Since any coding I do is in JavaScript or ActionScript/Flex, I have no idea of what's involved in calling another program or registering an extension with the shell -- that's getting way beyond my level of competence or understanding.

Meanwhile, while I was at the Skwire Empire, I downloaded Trout and I'm testing it out right now. I think I'm going to love it. Besides everything else, it's CPU usage is barely registering on Process Explorer. That's important to me as a web developer since I'm usually running Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome and Opera when I'm building and they're all resource hogs. A lot of times, I have to work with no music at all since iTunes and even MediaMonkey use magnitudes more cycles than Trout. Working without music = Horrors!

MilesAhead:
it could also be worth looking at the command line options (these could be scripted)
-Target (January 03, 2010, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking.  If you could get it done with a command in each folder, I know Python(and I'm sure other scripting languages) has a path walk() function that visits the subfolders in the path tree and performs a command in each.

neptitude:
D'oh!!

@Target: Thanks! It's not very obvious but, you're right! There is an option built-in to WinRAR which allows you to do what I need it to do. It's on the attached screenshot.

It even works, sort-of, from the right-click menu. When you select a bunch of folders (or files) then right-click and choose Add to archive..., when you switch to the Files tab, the files are pre-entered in the Files to add field. It's just a matter of checking the Put each file to separate archive box and it's doing exactly what I needed it to.

Thanks for all of your time and suggestions! I've got what I wanted and didn't even have to install another piece of software. (Except for Trout which is making me very happy I installed it!)

skwire:
Hey, skwire, I guess adding it to SpinZip would work as long as I could drag-n-drop a handful of folders onto it and have it zip each dragged folder individually. Of course, I would prefer if it used RAR, but if that's not an option, ZIP works.-neptitude (January 03, 2010, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Regarding RAR support in SpinZip, I would have added it long ago if not for the license:

--- ---   5. The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may be freely distributed,
      with exceptions noted below, provided the distribution package is not
      modified in any way.

a.  No person or company may distribute separate parts of the package
          with the exception of the UnRAR components, without written
          permission of the copyright owner.

b.  The RAR/WinRAR unlicensed trial version may not be distributed
          inside of any other software package without written permission
          of the copyright owner.
Meanwhile, while I was at the Skwire Empire, I downloaded Trout and I'm testing it out right now. I think I'm going to love it. Besides everything else, it's CPU usage is barely registering on Process Explorer. That's important to me as a web developer since I'm usually running Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome and Opera when I'm building and they're all resource hogs. A lot of times, I have to work with no music at all since iTunes and even MediaMonkey use magnitudes more cycles than Trout. Working without music = Horrors!
-neptitude (January 03, 2010, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good to hear you're liking Trout; that one has been a fun project over the past year.

@Target: Thanks! It's not very obvious but, you're right! There is an option built-in to WinRAR which allows you to do what I need it to do. It's on the attached screenshot.
It even works, sort-of, from the right-click menu. When you select a bunch of folders (or files) then right-click and choose Add to archive..., when you switch to the Files tab, the files are pre-entered in the Files to add field. It's just a matter of checking the Put each file to separate archive box and it's doing exactly what I needed it to.
-neptitude (January 03, 2010, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Grrr...now see?  I've known, and used, this option in the past within WinRAR but I never realised that it would work with folder names as well.  Good to know for future use.

Mickets:
It can be done in WinRAR - check the options.

BraZIP can also do it, included in the Right-Click options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version