ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open source remake of the classic game Elite

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
On closer inspection I edited the Start menu shortcut and added the -nosplash option. Works fine now.

I can't really see why disabling the splash screen made a difference but it did ;)
-Carol Haynes (November 03, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only time I've seen something like that make a difference was if an app switched screen resolution and color depth after displaying the splash screen. Some cards are fussier than others about doing that.

A lot of older games threw a gorgeous splash up at whatever resolution you were currently set to, and then dropped down to a lower "game" resolution and color palette for performance reasons during actual play.

I'd have to look at the source to see if that's what's happening, but I'm guessing that's what caused it. Probably some minor glitch in the splash exit routine is borking something in the game initialization.

Deozaan:
I guess I'm a little young for Elite. I never played it, but it was mentioned a lot when I was researching information on how to create a virtually infinite, randomly generated universe for a game. Now I'll have a chance to try it out!

I thought this was pretty funny:
Version 1.65, released in June 2006, is the latest full release of Oolite. However, the test releases are faster, prettier, more stable and use less memory, so ignoring the full release and using the test releases instead is recommended. Yes, we realize this sounds silly.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting this, and thanks to mouser for including it in the newsletter or I would have missed it!

Crush:
Tau Ceti & Mercenary made more fun than Elite.

Mark0:
Tau Ceti & Mercenary made more fun than Elite.
-Crush (November 10, 2009, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
That remind me the time spent on the Amiga with Damocles, witch if I'm not wrong was a sort of remake / evolution of Mercenary.
Being able to go from planetary to inside a building gave an amazing scale to the game!

Crush:
Damocles was the follower and 4th part of the Mercenary Trilogy. This game was also great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version