ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Beerware and Otherware categories besides Donationware, good or now gimmicky?

<< < (2/2)

sajman99:
I ran into postcardware with Empathy which is mentioned on the postcardware Wikipedia entry. I'm not sure how common postcardware is today, but I admit I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of sending off my name and address on a piece of paper. I'm not really a paranoid person, but in today's world privacy concerns are much more real than in simpler times.

Mind you, most of the time generous software developers just want to know who is using their software and where they are located, but all I'm saying is we live in a more complicated world today.

MilesAhead:
The postcard thing reminds me of Ham Radio operators.  Probably a ham who thought of it for software.

afa the Beer thing, it should probably be the other way around.  If the original author catches someone else stealing their software they have the right to throw a beer in the guy's face, and the guy with beer on face has to pick up the tab. (So if you are a smart programmer you wait until a few pitchers have been killed before you announce you have apprehended the perpetrator.  One needs to maximize the advantage of the moment and leave the dude with a big tab.)  :)

mouser:
i love these fun things.. they are nice ways for strangers to make a connection in this isolated world, and a way for you to show an author that you appreciate their work by spending a little of your time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version