ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Beerware and Otherware categories besides Donationware, good or now gimmicky?

(1/2) > >>

Paul Keith:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerware

Beerware is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek term for software released under a very relaxed license. It provides the end user with the right to use a particular program (or do anything else with the source code). Should the user of the product meet the author and consider the software useful, he is encouraged to buy the author a beer 'in return' (or, in some variations, drink a beer in the author's honor). The term was invented by John Bristor in Pensacola, Florida on April 25, 1987,and the first software distributed using the Beerware licensing model was uploaded to a number of BBSs in 1987 and 1988. Many variations on the beerware model have been created since that time.

Poul-Henning Kamp's beerware license is simple and short, in contrast to the GPL which he has described as a "joke".[1] The full text of Kamp's license is:[1]

/*
 * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42):
 * <[email protected]> wrote this file. As long as you retain this notice you
 * can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think
 * this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return Poul-Henning Kamp
 * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 */

--- End quote ---

I just discovered today that Beerware exists after downloading this document:

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/ideal-world/

Was wondering if by this point, it comes off as gimmicky (maybe even delegated to joke concept) or like Donationware, is still a respected concept that might encourage people who normally don't donate/pay, to do so?

Since I don't really have a product, I don't really plan on using the license/concept.

I'm just wondering if it's a marketing tactic/license worth recommending to other people or whether it is by now seen as a common gimmick to get people to pay/donate?

I guess since the topic is raised, what are others' opinion of the other Otherware categories besides Donationware?

Lashiec:
In a way, it's not much different that Donationware, in the end you end up donating a beer ;D. I think I used some piece of software that was beer-licensed, but I can't recall which was the one right now.

Josh:
That sounds like my mechanics. They are "beerware" in that aside from cost of parts, I pay for all labor in supplying them with beer, water or gatorade! Not bad spending 100 in the above when they save you over 2000 in labor :)

Paul Keith:
@Lashiec

True but with Donationware, you get one open option but with Beerware you get multiple set options so in a way, they're different.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't pay attention to the actual items on the menu: http://www.buy-paul-a-beer.com/ Looks like you are correct.

Eóin:
Postcardware always seemed nice to me :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version