topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Beerware and Otherware categories besides Donationware, good or now gimmicky?  (Read 8761 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerware

Beerware is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek term for software released under a very relaxed license. It provides the end user with the right to use a particular program (or do anything else with the source code). Should the user of the product meet the author and consider the software useful, he is encouraged to buy the author a beer 'in return' (or, in some variations, drink a beer in the author's honor). The term was invented by John Bristor in Pensacola, Florida on April 25, 1987,and the first software distributed using the Beerware licensing model was uploaded to a number of BBSs in 1987 and 1988. Many variations on the beerware model have been created since that time.

Poul-Henning Kamp's beerware license is simple and short, in contrast to the GPL which he has described as a "joke".[1] The full text of Kamp's license is:[1]

/*
 * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42):
 * <[email protected]> wrote this file. As long as you retain this notice you
 * can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think
 * this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return Poul-Henning Kamp
 * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 */

I just discovered today that Beerware exists after downloading this document:

http://chrisguillebe...com/3x5/ideal-world/

Was wondering if by this point, it comes off as gimmicky (maybe even delegated to joke concept) or like Donationware, is still a respected concept that might encourage people who normally don't donate/pay, to do so?

Since I don't really have a product, I don't really plan on using the license/concept.

I'm just wondering if it's a marketing tactic/license worth recommending to other people or whether it is by now seen as a common gimmick to get people to pay/donate?

I guess since the topic is raised, what are others' opinion of the other Otherware categories besides Donationware?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In a way, it's not much different that Donationware, in the end you end up donating a beer ;D. I think I used some piece of software that was beer-licensed, but I can't recall which was the one right now.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That sounds like my mechanics. They are "beerware" in that aside from cost of parts, I pay for all labor in supplying them with beer, water or gatorade! Not bad spending 100 in the above when they save you over 2000 in labor :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Lashiec

True but with Donationware, you get one open option but with Beerware you get multiple set options so in a way, they're different.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't pay attention to the actual items on the menu: http://www.buy-paul-a-beer.com/ Looks like you are correct.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:27 PM by Paul Keith »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Postcardware always seemed nice to me :-*

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I ran into postcardware with Empathy which is mentioned on the postcardware Wikipedia entry. I'm not sure how common postcardware is today, but I admit I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of sending off my name and address on a piece of paper. I'm not really a paranoid person, but in today's world privacy concerns are much more real than in simpler times.

Mind you, most of the time generous software developers just want to know who is using their software and where they are located, but all I'm saying is we live in a more complicated world today.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The postcard thing reminds me of Ham Radio operators.  Probably a ham who thought of it for software.

afa the Beer thing, it should probably be the other way around.  If the original author catches someone else stealing their software they have the right to throw a beer in the guy's face, and the guy with beer on face has to pick up the tab. (So if you are a smart programmer you wait until a few pitchers have been killed before you announce you have apprehended the perpetrator.  One needs to maximize the advantage of the moment and leave the dude with a big tab.)  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i love these fun things.. they are nice ways for strangers to make a connection in this isolated world, and a way for you to show an author that you appreciate their work by spending a little of your time.