topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Paragon Drive Backup+Recovery 10 Free - good full drive imaging tool  (Read 34062 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just tried this free drive backup tool and was very impressed.  I normally use Acronis but that's becoming a very bloated expensive tool.  This paragon tool did a very good job, was easy to use, and has a nice bootable rescue cd builder in the program.  Was fast too.

If you don't yet have a drive imaging tool, or especially if you have family members with desktop/laptop/netbook computers, and want a legal free good drive imaging tool to install on their computer, i highly recommend this  :Thmbsup:

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Drive Backup+Recovery 10 Free - good full drive imaging tool
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08 PM »
Can you "mount" an image and copy individual files from it, like you can with an Acronis .tib file?

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I just tried this one last night. Pretty horrible compared to Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp I got an Acronis feeling about Paragon. Has more options though. 102mb+ vs. 30mb shows I guess. Reflect is quite a bit faster here but also do not check every file on hd to match exclusion options in Paragon, takes for ever. Functionality is pretty much the same for basic use - can't see why Paragon is better. File from Paragon was 23gb but Refelct one with less exclusions is 20gb. I used the one with *.tmp, *.old etc. Better compression I guess. May be why default is "high priority".

Also looked at free Acronis from Western Digital http://support.wdc.c...t/downloaddetail.asp only looked.

Paragon has a separate site dedicated to their free stuff btw. http://www.paragon-software.com/free/

AndyM - unless my memory has gotten worse then yes you can. Also in Reflect ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:52 PM »
and then comes the fourty dollar question; which is the better BackUp for my 32-bits Vista, the version 9 PRO, or the FREE version 10??

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:58 PM »
and then comes the fourty dollar question; which is the better BackUp for my 32-bits Vista, the version 9 PRO, or the FREE version 10??

or the free macrium one? (I havent tried it but there seems to be a few happy users here)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:25 PM »

or the free macrium one? (I havent tried it but there seems to be a few happy users here)

Maricum Reflect Free Edition is a good choice. I've used it on XP with good results. They also advertise it as being Vista and Windows 7 compatible and available in native 32 and 64-bit editions so I'd definitely give it a try if I needed to do a Vista drive image. Can't vouch for Vista, but I have tried it on Win7. Not much to say about it other than it worked quite well.

( Info and download link for anyone who's interested: www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp :Thmbsup:)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:31 PM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Don't forget that all Windows 7 flavours come with built in imaging and file level backup both of which can be scheduled.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I should know since on Vista but does build-in "Back up computer" not work? File level is lacking but total backup? Macrium is more cool though  8)

Well business/ultimate only http://www.microsoft...features/backup.aspx - have forgotten all those details.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:48 PM by Bamse »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Windows 7 provides the same backup features in all versions (I believe). It uses VSS to produce consistent images (for image backups) and can write those images to CDs, DVDs, Hard disks and network folders and produces a bootable rescue CD to restore images. Compression seems reasonable. Maybe I will be brave and try a restore!

File backup is pretty basic - but it makes sensible automatic selections of folders to backup and again uses VSS to get consistent file sets. Best bit is it can be scheduled and it has a cleanup tool to free up space from old backups.

You can only recover individual files/folders from file backups - image files can only be restored in their entirety.

I presume the image backup system works - it says it has completed a full backup - and interestingly if you have a multipartition system you can create multi partition images and choose what to restore in recovery.

OK it is very basic but for most people it will do the job and at least they haven't restricted it to Business and Ultimate like they did in Vista.

As someone who builds and sets up systems for clients I think it is going to be a really useful way to produce quick and easy images of systems for quick recovery. And it doesn't cost anything!

For me as windows 7 becomes more prevalent I will be pointing users towards Windows Backup as it is very easy to use and manage and it is already there. Let's hope there are no gremlins in the system and that they maintain some form of forward compatibility in windows 8 etc. (one of the bugbears of Windows Backup in earlier windows editions).

Personally I am using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 (the new corporate version) or at least I am trying to. Acronis seem to have a death wish as they have released a corporate version that is chock full of bugs! They claim it is Windows 7 compatible (and Vista) but both systems have a UAC prompt during startup because Acronis haven't yet worked out how to program in Admin mode without UAC complaining! Their suggestion is 'turn UAC off' !! Having said that it is the least of their worries, the last version they released caused BSODs on many machines, they replaced it with a version that cured BSODs but can't use VSS on Windows XP to create consistent images. All in all a dogs breakfast. Trouble is TrueImage Echo Workstation doesn't apparently work with Windows 7 (not that I have tried it) so corporate users have no choice but to upgrade to B&R10 if they want to use Win7.

DriveImageXML is free for home use and now supports XP, Vista and 7 and can also be added to a Win PE boot CD to allow backups of other versions (e.g. 98 and 2000). Partition handling is still a bit clunky and it seems a bit geeky for the average user.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:24 PM by Carol Haynes »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Now I am reconsidering free Macrium  8) I think I knew Vista did similar system backup, in thoughts when choosing Ultimate, but fact is somehow blurred because I usually disregard most MS feature not absolutely necessary for Windows to work. That way no annoyances, all stable and great. Feels better even, like less MS is a good thing, while using Windows... Guess stupid to ignore build-in backup now they offer it. 

Important to check Linux based restore cd made by Macrium btw., not sure it is good friends with all hd-controllers or at least a ahci -> naitive sata trick is required.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Windows 7 provides the same backup features in all versions (I believe). It uses VSS to produce consistent images (for image backups) and can write those images to CDs, DVDs, Hard disks and network folders and produces a bootable rescue CD to restore images. Compression seems reasonable. Maybe I will be brave and try a restore.

I've created and restored drive images with Win7's new tool as part of an informal test.

Image creation went fairly quickly with moderate compression enabled.

One nice thing is that image restoration can be invoked three different ways: via the control panel; via the Advanced Boot Options menu; or by using either a bootable system rescue CD - or the original Windows installation disk.

I tried all three methods on both 32 and 64-bit installations. Restores went quickly and flawlessly each time.

As someone who builds and sets up systems for clients I think it is going to be a really useful way to produce quick and easy images of systems for quick recovery. And it doesn't cost anything

Me too. And with the three layers of system recovery Win7 now provides (see below), doing an OS reinstall from scratch is apparently a thing of the past. At least under Windows 7.

And free is always a plus. ;D :Thmbsup:

Win7RecoveryOptions.gif

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 04:47 AM »
Just tried this free drive backup tool and was very impressed.  I normally use Acronis but that's becoming a very bloated expensive tool.  This paragon tool did a very good job, was easy to use, and has a nice bootable rescue cd builder in the program.  Was fast too.

If you don't yet have a drive imaging tool, or especially if you have family members with desktop/laptop/netbook computers, and want a legal free good drive imaging tool to install on their computer, i highly recommend this  :Thmbsup:

It seems that this new version offers differential backup, which is new for a free tool.  Is it quick ?
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 02:42 PM »
Now I am reconsidering free Macrium  8) I think I knew Vista did similar system backup, in thoughts when choosing Ultimate, but fact is somehow blurred because I usually disregard most MS feature not absolutely necessary for Windows to work. That way no annoyances, all stable and great. Feels better even, like less MS is a good thing, while using Windows... Guess stupid to ignore build-in backup now they offer it. 

Important to check Linux based restore cd made by Macrium btw., not sure it is good friends with all hd-controllers or at least a ahci -> naitive sata trick is required.

I bought the Macrium Reflect 4.2 because I did a save and restore with the trial version.  I had Paragon Drive Backup but the Boot CD did not work with my HP AMD Raid controller, except in "9 hours to do a 45 minute restore" mode. The Macrium worked flawlessly and even offered to copy over the saved MBR which coincidentally fixed my partition table that was hosed by Paragon trying to create the Backup Capsule hidden partition.

I verified with the Macrium forum sysop that the new free version has the same Linux Boot CD as the 4.2 paid version.  They just updated it. Not only does it work with my Raid controller but it also works with my USB Docking station from a cold boot.  So far the only minor annoyance is it insists on choosing the file backup name so to differentiate which partition is backed up you need to create a folder such as C_Drive or whatever so you know which is what.  I'm not sure about the free version but the $50 one has network support also, but it insists the workgroup be named WORKGROUP which is the default on Vista and W7.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 05:26 PM »
A backup capsule is not needed with paragon drive backup and recovery 10. Paragon system backup and paragon hard disk manager gives the option for a folder of your choice.

With paragon drive backup and recovery 10, it took 45 minutes to do a full backup of 38gb. It's the same backup utility that is in the hard disk manager, of which I've done a restore from that took about 45 minutes.

It does the mbr, if chosen, and you can pick any partition or folders. Here's a review-

http://dottech.org/freewaresr/11487

MilesAhead, if you ever try it again, just choose a folder. I backup to a folder on my external usb drive. I don't know why the bc didn't work, but I only have XP. Wasn't that the system backup you used? Paragon system backup is a bit different then the hard disk manager or the drive backup and recovery 10.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 05:34 PM »
The point is that it hosed my system trying to make a backup capsule instead of knowing what it can and can't do.  Also 9 doesn't support my AMD Raid controller. Plus with the paid Macrium you can get either 32 bit or 64 bit version of WinPE.  You can use it to integrate a Windows driver into the CD boot.  So now I have both a Linux boot CD that works and a USB key that I can boot using WinPE and they both support my Raid driver.

Paragon seems to work well with XP but I would say don't try to use the backup capsule feature on Vista or later.  Also it's ok if you have a vanilla Sata disk controller.

Just seems like Macrium has it out in front with the hardware support.

To me, for a system backup/restore utility to blithely hose your partition table and go merrily on its way is totally bogus.  Vista was around long enough they should have gotten it right.  Thumbs down on that score. It worked ok on my XP machine with Sata controller.  That's about all I can say for it.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:33 AM »

Apologies for offtopic, but would appreciate if anyone with Thinkpad T61P/similar notebook has used Macrium Reflect
without problems to clone Vista 32/64 bit to a new disk ?

It seems there's something special on Lenovo hard disks/hidden partitions that traps many imaging softwares

SKA
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:35 AM by SKA »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Apologies for offtopic, but would appreciate if anyone with Thinkpad T61P/similar notebook has used Macrium Reflect
without problems to clone Vista 32/64 bit to a new disk ?

It seems there's something special on Lenovo hard disks/hidden partitions that traps many imaging softwares

SKA

Macrium has a forum where you may get more user responses. Just go to their site.

edit: I have the link here:
http://www.macrium.com/support.asp

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Thanks for the Paragon info, mouser.

In additon to Macrium Reflect, EASEUS Todo Backup is another free disk imaging software which is worth a mention. Although it's not yet working on Windows 7 according to this blog, it seems like a good one to watch. 8)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:22 PM by sajman99 »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I have an external 2TB WD My Book drive, connected via firewire, single partition.

The trial version of Paragon HD Manager, as well as Paragon Drive Backup Pro 9 both show this drive as having "7,9 GB not formatted" and the remaining space unallocated. Fixed drives are shown correctly, but the nonsensical detection of the external drive makes me rather uncomfortable about this software. (MS management console shows the correct status for this drive, of course)

If anyone is using Paragon software and has an external USB drive, what does it show for you?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41 AM »
I have the c-drive showing 10 gbmb unallocated free space with paragon.
MS management does not show it.

The seagate usb drive is reported correctly with both.

edit
Easeus reports the same 10mb uballocated and unformated free space.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:12 AM by cmpm »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I have an external 2TB WD My Book drive, connected via firewire, single partition.

The trial version of Paragon HD Manager, as well as Paragon Drive Backup Pro 9 both show this drive as having "7,9 GB not formatted" and the remaining space unallocated. Fixed drives are shown correctly, but the nonsensical detection of the external drive makes me rather uncomfortable about this software. (MS management console shows the correct status for this drive, of course)

If anyone is using Paragon software and has an external USB drive, what does it show for you?

When I got Paragon Drive Backup I also bought Seagate external USB drives.  But they are only 250 GB and 500 GB.  Also I was using XP Pro SP2.  I suspect the Vista and W7 compatibility is still not there yet. If you have plain vanilla disk controller you may be okay but I would thoroughly test it before relying on it. It seems like the Macrium has more options afa image backup and restore.  For one thing the paid version gets you WinPE.  It so happens the Linux boot CD recognizes my Raid controller, but if it didn't, I have the avenue of incorporating the Windows driver into the WinPE boot CD.  I did it just for grins.  It was a bit of a hassle because the Raid controller also controls the optical drive.  So when I boot the CD all I really have is Bios compatibility boot.  The only files visible on the CD are files inside the boot image.  I had to learn how to load the Windows driver from the boot image.  Then I could see the rest of the CD and my HD.

I guess that's the long-winded way of saying Macrium is more flexible.
Paragon worked great for me on XP with a plain Sata controller.  Made the boot capsule and the whole bit.  Vista and later I think it has problems.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50 PM »
For one thing the paid version gets you WinPE.

Paragon also include WinPE media with some versions of their programs:

Drive Backup 9 Pro  (currently same price as Personal)
System Backup 2010
Hard Disk Manager Suite 2009

Possibly others, didn't check everything they sell.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I just performed a quick trial and got a big disappointement :

I installed Paragon B&R 10 Free, performed a backup of a 33GB Vista system partition, the resulting image was around 23 GB after 55 min.  But I couldn't mount the image within Paragon.  Worse, the extension chosen for saving the First cylinder special backup, .pfm, conflicts with a Vista Font tool.

So I got it uninstalled right away.

I tried instead Keriver Image 4, which was much faster, around 25min for the same partition, and the resulting partition is mounted right away.  I got it from  GAOTD a few weeks ago.
.merle1.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:39 AM by MerleOne »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Hmmmm, I never tried the Mount Image feature before.  Just tried it and copied a file out of the image in Explorer.  Pretty cool esp. considering it works in the free version. The docs say it mounts as FAT32 but for a 20 or 40 GB image I imagine that's no problem.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Just tried PBRFE10, (I have Hard Disk Manager Suite 2009):

Backup is a little slow, (Best Compression), I suspect this is because it's trying to compress already compressed files, (png, MPEG4, etc), on the partition I tried.
Verified by doing the same backup without compression - it did it in less than half the time.
Unfortunately there's nowhere where you can filter files to not compress.

Backup file mounted and unmounted without a problem but even if you can't, you can browse through the contents within PBRFE10 and export files to another drive.

Restore from within XP went without a hitch and was approx. 30%-40% faster than the, (Best Compression), backup operation.

So I created a Recovery Media on a spare Flash drive and booted from that and was pleasantly surprised when all my HDDs were listed, (AMD 780G with SATA in AHCI mode), something Acronis usually failed to do without having to find the latest filters.  A restore using the previously created uncompressed image took 1 minute longer than it did creating it under XP, (6.5 minutes).

Having an extension *.pfm is pretty much a non-event AFAIAC because that's what 'Open With' is for, (there are other extensions which clash, eg. *.nfo, you only have to go to The File Extension Source and pick a letter).
The extension PFM is also used by:
PFM     Printer Font Metrics (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
PFM    Portable Float Map Graphics Data

The docs say it mounts as FAT32 but for a 20 or 40 GB image I imagine that's no problem.

The drive information on my mounted backup shows it as NTFS.  I don't see how or why they would bother with an on-the-fly NTFS->FAT32 conversion just for working with a mounted image.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:28 AM by 4wd »