topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: adding memory to my Dell Precision 380  (Read 15321 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
adding memory to my Dell Precision 380
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just realized (sometimes I'm a little slow) that my Dell Precision 380 only has one Gigabyte of memory, and Eudora, Firefox and Linkman crash that out to smithareens (swap out anyone) -- before the eye blinks -- with the XP op sys. Even before Web development and database stuff that wants to be loaded and worked on.

So I want to expand the memory, some questions arise.

Even if I buy a hotter machine, and this becomes #2, I can see memory worth about $100, for better usage for the next year or two. This sys is 3 Gigahertz Pentium 4 and 160 gig disk.

Dell has an interesting auto-scan upgrade tool, but it gets bogged down thinking of Vista, and forgets to offer memory.  It offers me disk and a faster video card, yet does not think memory, even after giving a notification that more memory often helps performance ! 

Then I got one of their chat-meisters.  He says that the system will address 8Gb for applications, while another had said no.  Who is right ?   

1) Should I do it myself ?  I know it is fairly simple, and I've done it once or twice, but still .. if I can buy the memory local, installed cheapo, is that better, safer ?  Or definitely just buy on the Net and install myself.  (GeekSquad at BestBuys would charge $40 for the install, and the BestBuy memory might be a smidgen more than the net, so that is an example of too much extra.)  However what if I only pay $10-20 more, schlepping the puter to Joe Memory a mile away. 

2) Should I go for 4 Gigabyes instead of 2 ?  Supposedly the 4th gig is not addressed.  The extra cost is about $40, but that third gigabtye might come in real handy I think.  So far, I figger, go for 4, your thoughts ?  (This morphed into a question of 8 vs. 4, since the price is lower, see below.)

3) If only 4-gig is used, then I wonder .. does it really matter if I dual-channel (4 1-gigabtyes versus 2 2-gigabtyes). They talk of better performance, but probably just a smidgen and you lock yourself into a max of 4.

If I go 8 gigabtyes all channels are filled, and if it is cheap enough, I may do that, if it is confirmed that it helps over 4gig on a busy system.

4) Do you have a favorite store ?  Memorystock came up with a fine page for my puter, so right now they are in the lead if I buy on the Net.  This was pretty impressive.

http://www.memorysto...nWorkstation380.html
Memory Upgrade for Dell Precision Workstation 380 Computer

However Dell was just as cheap, maybe cheaper.
Only $21 for 2-gig units ! Wow.   So there we go.  Home-install.

Ok, so far I am going non-ECC, (non-parity) since that is what I have now, Dell even recommended it sort of.  And the techies seem to indicate that memory parity is more for the server-delicate mentality.  Makes sense to me.  Also I am not too concerned about the brand name.

Your thoughts ?

Main question .. 4 gigs is probably much better than 2, right ?
Does 8 gig help at all ? 
Should I just put it in myself.  Carefully, delicately, not while eating.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: adding memory to my Dell Precision 380
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:32 PM »
I've personally gone through either Newegg or Tigerdirect for all of my hardware updates. I can't say I prefer one over the other, but I have purchased more from tigerdirect. As far as the 2GB over 4GB it's my understanding that unless you are running a x64 bit system, you can't utilize anything over 2GB. I may be misinformed about that. I believe Vista had changed that too allowing 4GB to run on a Vista 32bit version, and up to 8GB or 16GB on 64bit version.

I hope this information is still correct, and it helps you.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Head over to www.crucial.com and have the scan tool there get the info for you. I've bought all my RAM upgrades there (minus one that was incompatible) and they all work perfectly :)

Also, just buy it (the most you can get at the fastest speed) there and install it yourself (it isn't very difficult, just a tad hard on the fingers).

EDIT: As mizraim points out, if you are on 32 bit Windows then you can only use 3.5GB of memory. 64 bit can go to insane limits with RAM.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Head over to www.crucial.com and have the scan tool there get the info for you. I've bought all my RAM upgrades there (minus one that was incompatible) and they all work perfectly :)
-wreckedcarzz (March 09, 2009, 06:35 PM)

+1 on crucial.com

I purchase virtually all my RAM (for personal and business use) through them. Been doing so since 1998. I have yet to have a problem with anything I've gotten from them.

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:23 AM »
crucial.com says my MSI Wind U120-024US RAM slot(s) are empty. I definitely have 1GB in there now and I'm pretty sure that I can get another 1GB in there...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:12 PM by Deozaan »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56 AM »
Hi Folks,

Crucial's scan tool, followed by recommendations, was very good.  They confirm that anything above 4 gigs (ie. 3.5) is simply lost to Windows 32-bit OS (one Dell salesman thought otherwise, as if the applications could address what Windows did not see !).  They also make it clear that I can leave in my 512s, which I did not realize. And put in a pair of 1 gigabyte additions for a bit over $30 -- totaling 3 gigs, or I can put in a pair of 2 gigabyte additions totaling about $50.  (Actually Dell would be a smidgen cheaper on this last one, the extra accuracy and knowledge and help of Crucial leans towards them.  Close call, since the puter is Dell, the fact that one fella actually recommended 8 gigs is a Dell- strike.)

Then there is the possibility of loading a 64-bit Linux .. will that work on my CPU ?  Apparently the Pentium 4 is 64-bit, so that might be .. conceivably, a future advantage of having the extra memory, if I do intensive Linux -- Real Soon Now.  Anyway the difference from usable 3 gig to 3.5 on XP probably justifies the $20 (less if Dell memory).

The last question is how much would a downgraded Vista (running XP) cost these days new. My favorite downgrade boxes have been PowerSpec, and I can pick up a discount from the returns at MicroCenter.  (Did that instead of Dell for my work puter less than a year ago, worked fine.) Example (assume it has the downgrade, ie. Vista-legal yet loaded with XP)

http://www.powerspec...phtml?selection=B700
PowerSpec® B700
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor E7200
# 4GB DDR2-800 RAM

And I assume that is quite a bit quicker processor (and larger disk, faster video card, L2 cache etc) than my current system.  Well actually the gigahertz is technically lower, however the Duo Processor should be a decent speedup.  (Although most wait time is Internet or memory swap, not processor speed, since I am not a gamer.)

So it is probably time for a $500-600 upgrade, making my Dell the 2nd system. XP limitations (stacks and such as well as 32-bit) will be unchanged, everything else will be faster.  Or wait for Windows 7.  Or see if the current Vista-dog barks.

Oh, yeah, I would also check Dell's deals du jour before such a purchase.  
Anybody else ?  Here is my shopping-store list.

PowerSpec at Microcenter returns (they have a stack with other companies too, PS tends to be their best deal)
Dell deals
Tiger Direct - e.g Systemax VXQ2

Other web bargains
Craigslist (especially for the extras that can come with a slightly used system).

Used I find good for $100-150 puters for friends, not so much for newish ones, since the sellers often did not get a very good deal, nor do they realize how quickly the tech changes.

Anybody else to add to my shopping list for my new #1 system ?  
On my XP box, do I care much if it is Intel or AMD ?

PowerSpec and Dell have both given me good support over the years, surprisingly enough, on about two puters each.  (Even HP was good, however that was many years back.) I wouldn't mind trying a box like Systemax, if I get a good box at a comparable price, I didn't realize that they connected with Tiger Direct.  ZDNet mentions others of the smaller size also like Cyberpower, Polywell, iBuyPower, but if they don't have a connection like Systemax-->Tiger Direct the price will probably be significantly higher. (I checked some of these when I did my last PowerSpec.) Some are more gamer oriented.  Anybody have a Systemax quality and support report ?

(Hey, I am hijacking my own memory thread .. going into computer purchase !)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:29 AM by Steven Avery »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:18 PM »
I'm not happy with Crucial right now. >:(

I scanned my wife's computer and it recommended two 1GB sticks for her laptop and I decided to try my MSI Wind again and this time it said I could upgrade another 1GB. So I ordered all 3 sticks and got them today.

I installed my wife's new RAM first and was finished in 4 minutes. Then I started the process of taking apart my netbook and spent a few minutes unscrewing all the screws and working the entire bottom off the thing. I finally got it off and lo and behold there is no memory slot for the stick of RAM I've got.  >:(  :mad:

Now I'm doubly mad! I was certain when I ordered this that I could upgrade it to 2GB of RAM and Crucial led me to believe it was also possible. Now I've broken the warranty sticker to upgrade the RAM (because I read online that MSI decided to allow people to upgrade the RAM without voiding the warranty) and there is no way to upgrade the RAM!

:down: >:( :mad: :down:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20 PM »
 :(

It *is* a netbook (not made for speed, so I wouldn't expect it to have multiple RAM slots), but still, that's bad...
Tried Crucial's customer support? Might be able to send it back or get a refund of some type...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:25 PM »
:(

It *is* a netbook (not made for speed, so I wouldn't expect it to have multiple RAM slots), but still, that's bad...
Tried Crucial's customer support? Might be able to send it back or get a refund of some type...
-wreckedcarzz (April 10, 2009, 11:20 PM)

Apparently, the model I bought is the only MSI Wind that DOESN'T have an extra RAM slot. They decided instead to put some stupid 3G cell phone thing I'll never use in there instead.

ARGH!

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34 PM »
Hi Folks,

My install of the 4 Gb went fine.  Dell had the best price and with it being their puter they were quite helpful with a little tech support (after a minor bouncing around their phone-land).  Getting the side open was a breeze, no screws.  The memory was a little awkward to get at .. but hey, its the inside of a computer, what do you expect. I had to move out the 512Mg from the #1 and #2 slots (white in Dell) .. information that was not clearly given on many sites or in their directions although I remember seeing it in one place as a basic idea .. and put the 2 Gg memory sticks in those spots and the 512Mg went to #3 and #4 (black on Dell).  Even if the 2 512 Mg don't really do anything right now, they are just as well in the puter as loose.

Dell did a good job on price and on support and ease of opening the puter case. And the puter runs much better.

Shalom,
Steven

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:39 PM »
-wreckedcarzz (April 10, 2009, 11:20 PM)

I thought that if you bought memory recommended by their tool and things didn't work that you'd get your money back.  Probably small consolation, but Crucial shouldn't give any hassle on the refund.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 12:14 AM »
I contacted support and am still awaiting a response.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42 AM »
Got a response from them today.

They said that their website clearly says my netbook can't handle any upgrades, and that if the scanner misidentified my PC, well, I agreed to that possibility happening before running the scanner.

The good news is that my warranty is probably still valid, considering the following:

Opening up your system and adding Crucial RAM should in NO WAY void your original warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Act, enacted into law by the US Congress in 1975, protects consumers' right to use the products they want.

How does it work? In legal terms, the Act prohibits manufacturers from requiring consumers to use products or services from a particular manufacturer in order to keep their original product warranty valid. That means, in most cases, you don't have to upgrade with your system manufacturer's memory or memory from another manufacturer specified by your system manufacturer to maintain your system warranty.

In much simpler terms, you can add Crucial RAM and your system warranty will remain valid!

I guess I just need to write back now and ask what to do with the RAM I can't use. Am I SOL because I clicked the checkbox saying I agreed to the license or will they give me my money back? Time will tell.

jaybibbs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Netbooks just sound like small nightmares to me.  I think I'll just tote my full size laptop around.

Anyhow, I second the other sites for memory and also have had good luck at www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Cheers.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Netbooks just sound like small nightmares to me.  I think I'll just tote my full size laptop around.

Anyhow, I second the other sites for memory and also have had good luck at www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Cheers.

I got an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-P about 2 months ago and I am *loving* it. The RAM upgrade took a whole 10 minutes, the majority of the time spent locating a usable screwdriver and getting the screw out (it was surprisingly long). 1GB switched out for 2, and it was a whole lot easier than the whole take-out-the-keyboard-and-half-the-internals that would have been required for my old Compaq NC6000!