ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google vs. the rest: Is it fair?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Tuxman:
Other services are also free and don't tend to personalize their ads.

Kamel:
The danger with google is that their lack of appropriate privacy could in the future be used for many more things than advertisements. Just because it's "only for advertisement purposes" right now doesn't mean that the data they mine on people can't be used in other ways in the future.

Tuxman:
You perfectly got it. Thanks.  :D

JavaJones:
From what I've seen Google has been relatively response to privacy policy change requests, when large-scale enough and reasonable. But I must admit I don't really buy into all the concern over Google in general, so I don't pay extremely close attention. I read the articles that come through reporting on this or that problem, but few have ever been compelling or made me worried at all. I've read through their policies, and MS's and most other major company's and Google's don't seem any worse, and better in some areas in fact.

- Oshyan

Shades:
Speaking form outside of the U.S.

Google is the one who delivers the best results in search, Bing delivers quite useless content when searching for things outside the U.S. The same is true for the other products from Google.

To me, if you live outside the U.S. the best deal (by far!) is Google. Alternatives only care for the U.S. Rather limiting in my point of view, but hey, what do I know right? Not to be trolling or something, but in that sense Google is more of a global player than any of the alternatives (including Microsoft).

Furthermore I can confirm that MS and other alternatives handle anything outside of the U.S.  I have (very sparingly used) mail accounts with Google, Yahoo! and Microsoft (since Hotmail)...and guess which account is getting the least (directed) spam. Again, privacy is not a word in the vocabulary of Microsoft or Yahoo!

Ok, a bit of explicit NSFW language follows: For me it is hard to understand that somebody complains about what Google might do regarding privacy, while the alternatives already sell us non-US'ers out Spoiler, in essence, fornicate non-US'ers from behind using sand as vaseline
while not even trying to keep up with what Google actually delivers. Because of that Google has a tremendous amount of goodwill all over the globe and (generally speaking) people are not that bothered with the advertisements that Google fires in their direction.

Let me put it this way, why people call searching on the internet 'googling' and not 'binging'? The latter term does not bring such a nice association to my mind...but again, what do I know?[/rant]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version