topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google vs. the rest: Is it fair?  (Read 23171 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google vs. the rest: Is it fair?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Other services are also free and don't tend to personalize their ads.

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 05:38 PM »
The danger with google is that their lack of appropriate privacy could in the future be used for many more things than advertisements. Just because it's "only for advertisement purposes" right now doesn't mean that the data they mine on people can't be used in other ways in the future.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41 PM »
You perfectly got it. Thanks.  :D

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 06:54 PM »
From what I've seen Google has been relatively response to privacy policy change requests, when large-scale enough and reasonable. But I must admit I don't really buy into all the concern over Google in general, so I don't pay extremely close attention. I read the articles that come through reporting on this or that problem, but few have ever been compelling or made me worried at all. I've read through their policies, and MS's and most other major company's and Google's don't seem any worse, and better in some areas in fact.

- Oshyan

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Speaking form outside of the U.S.

Google is the one who delivers the best results in search, Bing delivers quite useless content when searching for things outside the U.S. The same is true for the other products from Google.

To me, if you live outside the U.S. the best deal (by far!) is Google. Alternatives only care for the U.S. Rather limiting in my point of view, but hey, what do I know right? Not to be trolling or something, but in that sense Google is more of a global player than any of the alternatives (including Microsoft).

Furthermore I can confirm that MS and other alternatives handle anything outside of the U.S.  I have (very sparingly used) mail accounts with Google, Yahoo! and Microsoft (since Hotmail)...and guess which account is getting the least (directed) spam. Again, privacy is not a word in the vocabulary of Microsoft or Yahoo!

Ok, a bit of explicit NSFW language follows: For me it is hard to understand that somebody complains about what Google might do regarding privacy, while the alternatives already sell us non-US'ers out
Spoiler
, in essence, fornicate non-US'ers from behind using sand as vaseline

while not even trying to keep up with what Google actually delivers. Because of that Google has a tremendous amount of goodwill all over the globe and (generally speaking) people are not that bothered with the advertisements that Google fires in their direction.

Let me put it this way, why people call searching on the internet 'googling' and not 'binging'? The latter term does not bring such a nice association to my mind...but again, what do I know?[/rant]

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Google is the one who delivers the best results in search
Google is the one who delivers the most Google-products results and who cares a lot about fake meta tags.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:59 AM »
One thing that does reassure me about Google's fair actions is that they have yet to abuse the privacy of their users to date. Being a search company, its spiders are logging and instantly linking everything, including the content of your emails. Never had a problem with their apps, viz., email. But if they do start horning in on my hermetic life, then I'll act.

I'm far more worried about government action/inaction on issues of DNA databases, copyright, and patents, where tech faces increasing danger of being criminalized.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 07:34 AM »
including the content of your emails
So emails are "just such a virtual thing" and in no way comparable to actual letters to you?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Plaintext emails are like postcards, you didn't bother to put it in an envelope so the postman is perfectly entitled to read it 8)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Plaintext emails are like postcards, you didn't bother to put it in an envelope so the postman is perfectly entitled to read it 8)

I get your point, but completely disagree. Average people can use envelopes without being instructed. Encryption, however, is not something most people can use. If I'm trying to get a job somewhere, and I send in my information encrypted, I would have about a 0% chance of getting that job.

Also, one can not control the method in which e-mails are sent to them. Many places have made it a habit to e-mail you with very privileged information after signing up, such as usernames, passwords, etc.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 09:31 AM »
So emails are "just such a virtual thing" and in no way comparable to actual letters to you?

For me, yes. About the only thing of importance I receive via email is an occasional Amazon receipt or shipping notice. No company business is done through it, although I know of several people using Google's premium business accounts to administer their email.

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 09:43 AM »

For me, yes. About the only thing of importance I receive via email is an occasional Amazon receipt or shipping notice. No company business is done through it, although I know of several people using Google's premium business accounts to administer their email.

My current job (which I start tomorrow) was coordinated entirely through e-mail. I wouldn't have gotten the job any other way.