ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reocities: the GeoCities one-man rescue project

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
What about archive.org? Was Geocities as a rule not spidered? Note: I didn't read any of the articles, so my apologies if it's explained within. ;)

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 29, 2009, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Oshyan!

Yes, you are correct. Retrocities was not the only person or group attempting to archive GeoCities. Several other groups were also independently pursuing the same goal. But I never meant to imply that Retrocities was the only player in the game.

What made Jacques' story so interesting was that it was essentially a solo initiative, and took a unique approach to getting the data. Using a search engine cluster was a pretty slick approach no matter how you look at it. And that 150Mb/s inbound rate was amazing. Remember this is one guy's personal rig - not some corporate data center that was doing this.

Fortunately, most of these archiving groups are cooperating with each other to share what they've been able to get in order to produce the most complete collection possible under the circumstances.

This from the archiveteam.org website:

There have been other parallel projects also mirroring Geocities besides Archive Team. These include Archive.Org, Reocities, geocities.ws, and Internet Archaeology. All groups appear to have gotten different amounts of the Geocities collection, and most are now sharing data to track down gaps and share copies.
--- End quote ---

8)

JavaJones:
Gotcha, yeah. I didn't meant to belittle the interest or value of your post at all, most just curious why he went on an independent project when Archive.org (and apparently others?) were already setup to do it. But it does sound like he did some cool stuff. :)

- Oshyan

rgdot:
Great story :)

Also who could ever forget the annoying midi files that ran in the background of so many of those sites

tomos:
Also who could ever forget the annoying midi files that ran in the background of so many of those sites
-rgdot (October 29, 2009, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's all new to me :)  Another Midi Page

Deozaan:
Great story :)

-rgdot (October 29, 2009, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only thing worse than that was when HTML in e-mail was fairly new and people started doing crazy "stationery" images and midi in the e-mail. )c:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version