topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Weird problem with Windows 7 explorer's right-click menu  (Read 3965 times)

ilovekonoka

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Weird problem with Windows 7 explorer's right-click menu
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Hi DC folks,

Even though this is my first post, I've been lurking here for quite a while. I'm having a problem with my explorer's context menu: whenever I right-click on a file, the top-level context menu appears differently from the other levels (as you can see in the attached image - it looks like the XP's menu). The problem doesn't happen when I right-click on a folder though. Does anybody know of a probable cause?

weird.menu.png

ilovekonoka

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Weird problem with Windows 7 explorer's right-click menu
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:41 AM »
Problem solved  :D
Apparently Notepad++ was the culprit. I uninstalled it and everything went back to normal. It seems that in order to draw its icon on the menu, Notepad++ forces Windows to revert back to its old method of drawing the context menu...
Still a bit weird no one here encounters the same problem though  :)

*Edit: On a side note... only Notepad++ 5.5.1 (newest version) causes this weird behavior. Older versions are OK. Maybe I need to reconsider my habit of keeping my software up-to-date  :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:50 AM by ilovekonoka »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Weird problem with Windows 7 explorer's right-click menu
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Hopefully, you have dropped by the Notepad++ web site and filed a bug report with the author. I'm sure he'd be very interested in getting this fixed for the next version.