topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DreamMail  (Read 17581 times)

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DreamMail
« on: January 06, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Hi,
I have been a long time user of Foxmail and recently switched to Pocomail, mainly because of Foxmail's use of MS IE engine.
I just ran into DreamMail, which is very much like Foxmail and which uses MS IE engine as well; unlike Foxmail though, it has much better security settings, since it allows to disable ActiveX (by default) as well as scripts and java if desired. Message preview can also be set to "offline" (default) so no content is downloaded in html messages. It also supports webmail (it read fine my Yahoo mail).
Anyone that is fond of Foxmail should take a look at it:
http://www.dreammail.org/gb/

:)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DreamMail
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Is there an english version of this ?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Just found a french portal for the program:
http://ntxone.free.f...dex.php?page=accueil

Test driving right now and it looks dynamite!
For a freeware program... it is looking really good!!!  :)

-no support for IMAP though.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:39 AM »
English version?

Just switch language in "options" section!  Excellent!!!

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:57 AM »
So what was the outcome?  :huh:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:10 AM »
I tried this lately - looks great out of the box, but I had trouble using keyboard to navigate.
I posted in the english section of the (french) forum but got no response (most threads had no response)

A post since then sums up other problems
http://dreammail.wor...=896.msg3251#msg3251
1. There is no way to disable the loading of remote images in HTML view. Remote images are one of the ways spammes can verify if an email address is valid or not.

2. The ability to turn preview pane on/off should be able to be set on a "by folder" basis. (And, by default the preview pane should be disabled for the Junk Mail folder.)

3. When I right-click a folder in the folder list it opens that folder in the message list rather than just displaying the context menu. For example, I want to right-click the Trash folder to empty it. I don't necessarily need to to see the messages in the folder's message list. I just need to empty the Trash, not see it. Every other email client I have used only displays the context menu on a right-click.

4. If I select a message in the message list to view in the preview pane and then need to scroll the message to read all of the contents, I can't simply just hit the delete button on my keyboard to delete the message. The focus has to be placed back in the message list before the delete key works. The message is still selected, but as long as the focus is on the preview pane the message does not get deleted with the delete key.

5. Ability to "sanitize" HTML messages, as in Thunderbird and several other email clients.

6. The menu system is very "non-standard". Items are not where they are expected to be. It is common convention (in almost every Windows program) to place "Print" in the file menu. However, DreamMail places it in the Mail menu. But, on the contrary, one would think "Compose" would be in the Mail menu, but it is under tools. Why? It doesn't make sense. The menus need to be completely redone.

7. The spam filter seems to have no rhyme or reason to what it considers spam. There is no explanation that I can find as to whether this is a Bayesian filter or what criteria it uses. It has had a horrible detection rate for me with many missed spam messages making it into my inbox and A LOT of false positives.

8. The program, by default, does not adhere to the standard of placing the mail database, user account data, etc. in the %APPDATA% directory, which is typically c:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data. Trying to move the data there using MultiUser Management but it did not work.

9. Tabbing in the compose window take the user from the "To:" field, to the "CC:" field, to the "Subject" field, etc. and the loops back through those fields. Tabbing does not take you into the message text area as it should.

10. Pasting from another prorgam (I pasted most of this message from notepad) seems to cause strange things to happen with line breaks. Some lines break in the middle of the window, others scroll out of view. I also noticed that pasting with special characters seems to force a line break at that special character. (- % etc.)

11. From what I can tell, DreamMail uses IE to render HTML mail. This is the reason I moved away from Outlook Express many years ago. Is there any chance that the option to use Gecko or a proprietary HTML rendering engine will be developed in the future?

12. No spell checker.

i say how bout an email client with proper tagging (ditto for a note taker, a PIM, ...)  :(
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:22 AM »
new version out -
new website -

There's a portable version as well

05-07-07 : DreamMail 4.4.0.0
« on: 10 May 2007 à 19:47:59 »
   Reply with quoteQuote
New :
Increased the mail restore function
Increased the function of backup-point management
Revised the bug of mail filter can't save account information
Renewed the spam rule (only for chinese version)
Improved: Login script of "sohu.com" (webmail)
Improved: Can delete mail index file when compress/repair database
Improved: Show a confirm dialog box when move mail folder
Improved: Make a judgment when open a damaged DMD file Automatically
Improved: Auto-repair database when empty "Trash Folder" Error

link to download page in english forum:
http://forum.dreamma...msg3728.html#msg3728

new home page
http://dreammail-europe.org/

strangely my posts (two) have dissappeared - I think they deleted all english posts from before 2007.  :tellme:
I registered 29th Dec 2006, so probably made my posts in 2006 still.

The person who I quoted in last post was still unhappy on the 4th of May so I dont know if the new release addressed any of his issues

In fact I just deleted my account there -
because they were showing my email address in a new post I made,
in spite of  me having "hide my email.." selected

oh well...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24 PM »
In fact I just deleted my account there -
because they were showing my email address in a new post I made,
in spite of  me having "hide my email.." selected

oh well...

wanted to warn others there but not allowed to post as a guest - or to register -
"Sorry, regristration is currently disabled"

oh well again ...
Tom

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 04:27 AM »

It's been haunting me. Better late than never hé!
Tools/Language and it takes a minute but it will make the switch.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 04:38 AM »

It's been haunting me. Better late than never hé!
Tools/Language and it takes a minute but it will make the switch.

are you using it then/still?
happy with it?
Tom

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 07:16 AM »
It's a good program but i still prefer Thunderbird for IMAP support (which Foxmail does not have).
One thing i haven't tried yet, it's to get a new LIVE email address and see if it works with Foxmail.

Update: my hunch was right, no support for new LIVE mail accounts (unless you pay).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:53 PM by dantheman »