ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (15/17) > >>

jeremejazz:
Java might have a garbage collector, but its major disadvantage is that you just can't collect garbage yourself, so it tends to memory hogs of a quite notable amount.
-Tuxman (November 14, 2009, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
It seems that you are talking about destructors... well, JAVA uses the finalize() method which is similar to that

Tuxman:
Because pointers were found to be confusing and usually leads to computer crash if misused...-jeremejazz (November 17, 2009, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Have you ever worked with them? Maybe they are confusing, but very useful at times.

It seems that you are talking about destructors...-jeremejazz (November 17, 2009, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not necessarily, delete works anywhere...

jeremejazz:
Still I prefer them hidden just like what James Gosling preferred...  ;D
you seem to be a C++ expert... can you give us an important use of pointers

MilesAhead:
Still I prefer them hidden just like what James Gosling preferred...  ;D
you seem to be a C++ expert... can you give us an important use of pointers
-jeremejazz (November 17, 2009, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

One use would be implementing the language with the hidden pointers. In the beginning many of the OOP languages were just front ends that spit out C source code since C compilers were most likely to exist for the target platform.

The C++ virtual functions themselves are just a jump table of function pointers with some type checking.  And of course COM takes that to another level.

Tuxman:
James Gosling? That guy desecrated Emacs, so I basically like him.  :P

"Hidden pointers" are no pointers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version