ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (12/17) > >>

Tuxman:
Hmm, since Java *may* use less memory than C++-jgpaiva (November 14, 2009, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
... if you don't count the VM ...

, and *may* run faster than C++-jgpaiva (November 14, 2009, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
... once the VM has started ...

See?

mouser:
jgp, there are a lot of nice things you can say about Java, but i'd love to see an example where this is true:
since Java *may* use less memory than C++, and *may* run faster than C++
--- End quote ---

housetier:
And then someone comes up with an example that proves the opposite, thereby showing how "pointful" programming language warscomparisons are...

Tuxman:
I wonder if there actually is an example.

czb:
Is it that important if the program takes more or less memory? Or if it is a few percent faster or slower? Of course there are fields where this matters (scientific research and even there, they use Matlab, Python, OCaml etc. even though they are slower -> why?) but for a daily code, I do not think it really matters.

My primary decision point is how easy is to code and how I enjoy it (first order functions, pattern matching...). How the language helps you to parallelize the code, how to protect your code against bugs (units of measure, strong typing, immutability...), how to easily extend the language, how to debug (immediate scripting) it etc. And I really do not enjoy to code in C++. Java is better / simpler and and any modern functional language like F# or Scala goes even further.

PS: I do not say that C++ does not have its place but I do not understand why everybody uses it just to gain a little in memory and speed. I wonder why you do not code in assembler to gain even more speed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version