Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 10:51:38 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's your Programming Language?  (Read 21615 times)
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »

C++ is my language of choice these day. And since some of it's faults are being pointed out I'll add that once you use the Boost libraries it really feels like a different language entirely. I think it's an absolute joy to use and after getting up to speed I've found my opinions of templates changing from "have their uses" like MilesAhead to seeing them as almost being the essence of C++. Ok maybe exaggerated a bit but the sentiment is clear.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

Delphi all the way, from day one.

btw I always liked Delphi. Even Delphi 5 Pro if you really wanted to put in the effort and make some windows without caption bars and rounded corners with glass then you could fake it as being new Windows Seven stuff.  Nice small stand-alone executables.  Never got to play around with the .NET base or related versions though.

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »

(and I have this allergy to curly braces that kind of keeps me away from most other languages  tongue)
What about LISP then?  Grin

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
MilesAhead

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »

Hmmmmm, I've been doing C++ since Tubro C++ 1.01 Pro but apparently I'm unlearning at a rapid rate.  No references, no STL, I have to admit I wasn't a master of MFC but that's non-standard so I can get away with that unless of course I'm using VC++ 6 which is the mechanism for all my shell extensions.

Language threads.  I should see the pit of sharpened stakes under the canopy of leaves.

- MilesAhead
rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »

I remember the days of learning Turbo Pascal and FORTRAN, memories...
Speaking of that, the wikipedia entry for Fortran says: "Fortran (previously FORTRAN[1])" I completely missed the part of them losing the caps  cheesy
mrainey
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »

I use Emergence BASIC for everything.  It creates real standalone executables that run fast in XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and generate some decent pocket change for me.  I guess that makes it a real language.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »

I'm not so sure that SQL is a programming language, it's a Structured Query Language.

...However I do spend a lot of time working with it & C++ (My two favorite languages). I also work in PHP, ASP, Java, and some VB Scripting (which is partially redundant for ASP).

I'd have to say that Java definately causes the most (Um...) unbridled bouts of swearing.
bgd77
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »

In general i think it's silly to say a scripting language isn't a "real" programming language -- the real issue is choosing the right tool for the right job.

Amen!
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »

I too would think that scripting languages are very real programming languages. There is a lot more to computing than just producing an exe.

[edit to clarify] I mean computing as in computation, not as in computing cheesy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:55:30 AM by Eóin » Logged

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

Agreed. Just because a language cannot be "compiled into an executable" does not make it a real programming language and stating otherwise, especially in the modern day, seems more on the verge of looking for a flame war.

Strength in Knowledge
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 01:42:34 PM »

In general i think it's silly to say a scripting language isn't a "real" programming language -- the real issue is choosing the right tool for the right job.

... or the right money. smiley

MilesAhead

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »

Hmmmmmmm, the topic should probably be What are your favorite programming languages.. 1/2 dozen maximum.  Way too tough to pick one.

The Most Recently Used would have to be:
AutoIt3
AHK
Delphi
C#
C++

Operator overloading is fun so C++ shines there.
AFA learning the most in a short time I guess I'd
have to say 80x86 assembler.  It forced me to learn
about the actual hardware and memory addressing,
CPU instructions, interrupts etc..

I'm at 1/2 dozen so I have to quit here. smiley

- MilesAhead
Crush

Hello dude!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »

I´m a C++ only fan. I don´t like all others (perhaps Java and C# are quite good) - but use them when I have to work on projects demanding them.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »

My two all-time favorites were Forth and Modula-2 (later Modula-3) but I haven't written anything (nontrivial) in either for a very very long time. LISP was also an amazing language. I used to be pretty good at it back when I was heavily involved with an electronic publishing package called Interleaf.

Today I'm mostly shell with some Python (and occasionally a little bit of Perl) thrown in where it makes sense. I just started getting into PHP for a hobby project so that should be interesting.

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
MilesAhead

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »

Modula-2 (later Modula-3)

I always wanted to try those Top Speed compilers that had the same back end and had versions for C++ Modula2 I think it was, and some others.  I thought it would be fun to mix a bunch of modules with a compiler where you wouldn't have to constantly fix up the incompatibilities.  I couldn't afford to spring for it at the time though.  It seemed like a good concept.

- MilesAhead
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »

I always wanted to try those Top Speed compilers

I owned a few of them way back when. That's what I used for all my Modula work. Topspeed's tools were quite amazing and very much ahead of their time. Best part was you could mix and match languages since they all shared the same underlying compiler and libraries. Very very cool stuff.

If you want to play (or even do something serious) with Modula, you can find some free compilers here:

Modula-2:  www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/modula2.shtml

Modula-3:  www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/modula3.shtml

Cool

MilesAhead

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

- MilesAhead
SlayerA
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »

I still program in COBOL.
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »

I still program in COBOL.

Nothing wrong with that. For what it's designed for, it's still a great solution.  Thmbsup

bootz15
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »

Groovy is like Java++, and I love it.

It takes all the "ceremony" code out of Java syntax, borrowing heavily from other languages. But it still resembles Java as it's parent language, and it has 100% interoperability with existing Java libraries. (I.E. Groovy can call Java, and Java can call Groovy.)

Seriously, check it out!  thumbs up
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »

I shall do so!  Wink
jeremejazz
Supporting Member

hey!

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

My favorite programming language is Java. It's a bit like C/C++ in many ways. It is very flexible and manageable, and it runs on many platforms. You can apply modular approach on your code where in you can recycle some of the classes you use.

I'm curious about delphi... is it also an open source language?

smiley I love coding
jeremejazz
Supporting Member

hey!

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »

I just noticed, some of the replies are about java script... what's the difference with a scripting language and a programming language? Based on their replies, it looks like they're used interchangeably.

smiley I love coding
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 06:42:49 AM »

My favorite programming language is Java.
Oh God why?  Grin

It's a bit like C/C++ in many ways.
... except that you can write efficient and fast code in C++.

I'm curious about delphi... is it also an open source language?
Not actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarcadero_Delphi

what's the difference with a scripting language and a programming language?
Scripting languages are usually made for a certain purpose.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
czb
Honorary Member

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »

I use F#. I think, that any functional language is worth learning Thmbsup

My open-source online piano game: http://musicope.com/
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.048s | Server load: 0.16 ]