ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (2/17) > >>

housetier:
What bullshit are you referring to?

tranglos:
Delphi all the way, from day one.

PHP is certainly effective. It took me about 30 minutes to write my first WordPress widget to show a random quote of the day. Then I went from almost zero knowledge to writing and debugging a simple template-based website generator in a week. But, from my initial encounter, it seems rather messy - names and parameters of library procedures seem to go every which way, moreso than Windows API :) I'm not sure I like the scoping rules, either - perhaps it's something that requires experience to appreciate. At the moment though, I wouldn't attempt writing anything very complex in PHP, because I'd be lost in no time.

Python, from what I've read and seen of the code, seems more "regular" and manageable. (Then again... no case statement?) I just can't come up with an idea for a worthwhile project to do in Python. Especially that for anything that needs a UI, nothing beats Delphi.

(There are ways to add Python scripting to a Delphi app, which seems like a winning combo to me. The only hitch is that most users won't bother to download and install a Python distribution, while VBScript and JavaScript are available on most Windows systems out of the box).

Tuxman:
What bullshit are you referring to?-housetier (October 26, 2009, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Like answering "Javascript" when you're asked for your favorite programming language.  :P

I just can't come up with an idea for a worthwhile project to do in Python.-tranglos (October 26, 2009, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK you can use it for hacking and stuff. But that's not a good reason, is it?

CWuestefeld:
Java and C# are sluggish, resource hogging nonsense to me, while Delphi (which I actually like because it doesn't need a framework of any kind) is not a part of my knowledge...-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahem. Delphi certainly does have a framework -- that's what BCL is. I think what you mean is that Delphi doesn't have any kind of virtual machine or abstraction layer in which it runs. Delphi is an excellent language, and it's worthwhile noting that it was designed by the lead designer of C#, Anders Hejlsberg. In any case, having a framework available is generally a good thing, that's why people take the time to develop them. They save time in custom-building your own infrastructure, and in the case of standardized ones such as BCL or ASP.Net, save a good deal of learning because you can leverage your understanding to multiple projects.

--- End quote ---
Like answering "Javascript" when you're asked for your favorite programming language.  :P
-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a rather elitist remark. IMHO, it also reveals a lack of understanding of javascript. The language gets a bad rap, but if you look more deeply at it, you'll find that there's really much more substance to it than immediately meets the eye. For example, in the hands of someone who understands it, javascript lends itself well to dynamic programming techniques that you might expect to need a Python or Ruby for.

tranglos:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

I for one learnd some respect for JavaScript when I saw how much of FireFox is implemented in it. It's a rich OO language with all the modern gizmos like first-class functions, iterators, closures and what-not.

I just can't come up with an idea for a worthwhile project to do in Python.-tranglos (October 26, 2009, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK you can use it for hacking and stuff. But that's not a good reason, is it?
--- End quote ---

"Hacking and stuff" is a little broad for a project description :) What I said was merely that of the applications I would like to write some day (because I need them and because they interest me), none is a good candidate for a beginner Python project. If you like to write server-side stuff, or command-line processing, or if your platform is Google or social networks or the web in general, then Python is probably an excellent choice. I'm just not interested in those things at all. My thing is strictly Windows desktop. (Literally. If I had come up with an idea for something like Twitter 5 years ago, I'd have abandoned it as entirely too boring. That's me.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version